Fancy bases

Onikrex

What I would suggest is trying to come up with something on your own. Yes, I know how you feel, I was like that, too. But I eventually got over this "creative block" of sorts, and started planning my own stuff. Granted, it almost always looks like a castle of some sort... That's not the point.

Try to start with a general idea. What do you want your place to be? A palace? A castle? A biodome? A treehouse? An underground bunker? Once you have the idea, figure out which kinds of materials you think will fit the theme of your build, and then go from there by planning room layout etc. If you do this in small steps, it's easier than instantly trying to think up and start building something humongous.

I like to design bases based on what their purpose is.

For example, at the moment I am having a Voltz war with my cousin. I chose to keep my location hidden to prevent him from firng a dozen missiles at me as soon as the fighting begins like I plan on doing to him. Therefore, I needed a base that would have no minimap footprint and a hidden entrance. The most logical choice was an underground complex. It's nothing fancy, and the dirt and gravel patches are covered with just cobblestone, but it gets the job done.

The first room I dug was long and narrow with the ladder down at the other end, ideal for an automated turret if the location of my ase is compromised. Under that, I have a small wheat farm and a big pit for growing trees. Below that I have my machine room with my generators and machines.

At this point it's anything but pretty, but I plan on digging a shaft down to bedrock from the original room with a spiral staircase around the edge. Any more rooms I need will be dug off from there.

My point is.... well, I don't really have a point. But if there is one thing you can take away from this it woud be to start small, and don't be afraid to rip out huge sections of what you have already done to move you along towards your goal.

I've read things that suggest the weird things you do along the way have more character than following a plan. If you set up a road grid you can fix things easily. Here's some real world grids, the site thinks blocks should be <=11 chunks on a side with a perimeter of <=34 chunks. Hitting F9 twice will give you the chunk boundaries, hit it again to make the lines go away. The inside boundaries in Manhattan are about 4 chunks on the narrow side.

I've also heard to build with odd dimensions.

With Minecraft's one meter blocks building large is required if you want detail.

You want a large plot size if it's going to include a farm or garden.

Here's one of the places I previously found.