Why are ore depths unlimited?

ryven

Hey all, I've just been playing around with Hexxit for the first time, and was wondering what the design intent was behind allowing deep vanilla ores such as diamond and redstone to spawn at the surface? It makes the early resource collection part of the game very strange when you can just wander around the surface until you find a cliff face or shallow cave with a huge pocket of diamonds.

If I wanted to change it back to the vanilla depths, what mod would I disable/edit to do that?

It encourages exploration, rather than branch mining at depth 10. Personally I love exploring caves and finding all kind of goodies without being limited in what I find.

If you want to change it back to vanilla settings, look at the config file "config/cofh/World.cfg". There may also be other mods that have configs specific to their own (orebushes?), but I don't know which one exactly you need to change.

It was surprising to me at first too, but once you understand this mod is more about exploration, discovery, and gearing up to clean out a dungeon full of hostile mobs and a boss, it makes sense. Diamonds are common, loot in chests is super rare and what you are 'grinding' to find.

It was surprising to me at first too, but once you understand this mod is more about exploration, discovery, and gearing up to clean out a dungeon full of hostile mobs and a boss, it makes sense. Diamonds are common, loot in chests is super rare and what you are 'grinding' to find.

I agree with this sentiment, though I think ore generation should be scaled back a bit. Make diamonds, etc in the lower 40. Hexxit may be more focused on adventuring like in D&D, but there's nothing wrong with branch mining in D&D either. IE - I've not seen too many diamonds sticking out of rocks in D&D. Building a diamond sword should be about the same difficulty as getting one out of a chest in a room full of baddies - the gameplay is just different.

I agree with this sentiment, though I think ore generation should be scaled back a bit. Make diamonds, etc in the lower 40. Hexxit may be more focused on adventuring like in D&D, but there's nothing wrong with branch mining in D&D either. IE - I've not seen too many diamonds sticking out of rocks in D&D. Building a diamond sword should be about the same difficulty as getting one out of a chest in a room full of baddies - the gameplay is just different.

Diamond gear is very weak in hexxit, and even when enchanted, it still isn't very good.

Diamond gear is very weak in hexxit, and even when enchanted, it still isn't very good.

I was contemplating playing in Adventure mode, which, if you haven't followed the progress of it, now basically means that you need the specific tool to get the resource. No shovel, no dirt. No axe, no wood. It seems like it will encourage looting and adventuring even more, and keep ore gen from being too powerful.

How do you get your first axe then? I also don't see how it would encourage more exploration, as it won't change much for mining: it'd still be as easy to mine iron/diamonds/etc as long as you have a pickaxe.

Real men get creepers to blow up their trees.

If by "this" you mean ores at any depth then read the thread.

Edit: ninja'd by someone much kinder than me. Good for you :)

Eh, gotta be balance in everything. If I am kind to this newb, I can be mean to another. Thats how it works right?

• 2 weeks later...

i thimg they dont have to put the lapis ore to normal you need it very much with tconstruct

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying, but lapiz ore does spawn at all heights. In vanilla, however, lapiz had a wide height range for spawning, but a low overall concentration. I wonder if this particular behavior has carried itself over to hexxit.