Fusion Reactor Design

TokiWartooth

Meant to post this about a week ago, but been too busy to really get in game here is a gallery to some of the pics of my fusion reactor design, it is a 4 reactor setup, My main reactor tower will probably contain 5 layers of these reactors, also there are some picks of my energy storage room I think, I may edit in some other shots if imgur quits being dildos.

Enjoi, give feed back thoughts questions here, will check back either late tomorrow night or thurs(dep/pt tomorrow)

http://imgur.com/a/usEwh

Another pic from above :http://imgur.com/kSpFLgC

What it looks like without the water/turbines/walls (from creative testworld): http://imgur.com/kXusGby

One more for now My energy storage tower so far *power plant not yet in full swing: http://imgur.com/edYYPGk

I've been tweaking the values of the power input to the reactors, and I think ive settled at about 55mj/t each, but I have not done a test run to test for power out suffice it to say when it is fully operational the short answer will be "a lot." even with the inputs set to 100mj/t on the reactors I was still filling about two extra redstone energy cells on 4 stacks of deuterium, so with the power input better controlled and lower im expecting at least double that, the system has about 3 million MJ's in the backup system and the storage system should store 12 million a layer, im hoping with 20 reactors running I should be able to fill that 12 million in under 30 minutes.

Heh, NOW I see what you were talking about there Toki. A flood type reactor. Looks pretty good like that. Probably higher output then my design when run for long durations. Lots more surface area there as well. That should be fun to play with.

yeah I basically wanted as many 3x3 turbines on top as I could get, for max efficiency of space and a clean design. the extra shared space increases the power gen pretty nicely as well. I may post more pics when I get it set up, can't wait for bigreactors mod to make it in, have a whole nother cooling tower set aside for it.

Atomik science is in 1.1.5 the beta build. I've been using it for north of a month now and have no issues with it.

• Discord Moderator

I've not worked much with Atomic Science yet but wouldn't combining 9 turbines be more efficient then separating them?

If you were to look at the pictures you would see that all the turbines that can be combined, are combined.

• 3 weeks later...

that layered design looks awesome! have you thought about a write up for it? I just started messing with atomic after having to constantly move my pumps around in the nether cuz I kept draining it lol.. I got the single reactor, 4 torus going but I need more power... freakin me network.. for my server we have one main power plant for the 4 of us, but to make it a lil more interesting you have to make all the items to connect to it... same with the me network..

I would suggest doing a little something that will prempt a coming patch change. go into your config for atomic science and change the turbine co-efficent to 30 which is what it is set to in the latest version of AS apparently the version we have is nerfed for some reason, no idea why, that should fix your power issues.

30 seems a little steep imo, but where it was set makes them less efficient then a bank of steam engines... Even at 15 that would give a basic setup an output of ~38MJ/tick. Which sounds about right for the cost of making it vs cost of maintaining it.

For the design, you could also up-size the 4 torus design to a 12 torus design utilizing 5 fusion reactors. Not sure how it compares on a per reactor basis with Toki's design, but it looks good from testing. Runs about 6.89:1 efficiency. Meaning it produces 6.89 times more power then it uses. Just limit each reactor to 50Mj/tick input. And it runs best in pulses, not so much continual.

Layout of the reactors and electromagnets. And the ring of cobblestone to hold the water around the outside edge...

Reactor layout.

Adding the turbines gives you this kind of setup...

Turbines added.

Have fun with atomic power.

30 is what the new configs are set at, you can dl yourself and check, at current they don't work with tekkit because the basic components mod would have to be updated as well and that is tekkit folks domain but that is what it is set at, Im going to build more reactors in a layered fashion next time there is an update for tekkit, for whatever reason I lose some of the will to play when theres little new too play with. Also listen to jakalth, he did quite a bit of study on this mod with me when it first dropped and can probably tell you even more than I can about how to get things working. I like the 5 torus you have but it seems unweildy.

Can the reactors also be automatically fed with deuterium? In the designs I've looked at, there is only once accessible reactor side, which I assume you have to use for input power.

For that matter, seeing as the fusion reactor doesn't have a gui, is it even possible to fill them via AE?

Yeah. Like the design I posted. Instead of a large turbine over the reactors, you just have 8 small turbines around it leaving the space directly above it open for inputting either power or deuterium. Not a huge difference, just means a little more wiring.

Yes Toki. It is a bit unwieldy. It may produce a lot of power, but it also takes up a lot of space making it harder to find a place to put the monster.

Oh, I'm curious about one thing. With the turbine coefficient turned up, is the reactor still most efficient at around 50Mj/tick input, or does it actually run better at higher inputs now?

Hi All,

I just finished one of these based on Toki's design with the only change being the drop of 4 turbines to allow me to pipe deuterium to the reactors from the top.

With the feed power being set at 50MJ/t, I seem to be generating an excess of 293 MJ/t.

I calculated this by feeding the output to 4 laser prechargers, each one measured at 73.26 MJ/t.

BTW, I disabled conduit loss in ThermalExpansion.cfg (I:EnergyFramework.Redstone.Loss=0) first.

This is with the default AtomicScience.cfg (D:"Turbine Output Multiplier"=4.5).

Does this correlate with what others are seeing?

Sounds about right, btw you lose nothing but aesthetics by poping that middle turbine out, that and slightly more wiring, that block does not heat anyway.

Weird. I disconnected the wiring from the middle turbine and it dropped total output by 19.16MJ/t. Threw an energy cell on the middle turbine and found it was generating 19.16MJ/t (measured using multimeter).

Great design Toki, now I just want to see how I can generate a total excess of 500Mj/t so I can fully power a mining laser through tesseracts (with the proposed 20% tess loss).

I mean the central one of the 3x3 leaving the other 8 the one right above the reactor by it self does not heat the other 8 do. thats what i meant as in you can safely have the input by an ME bus without power loss. at least that water should not heat. if it does it is an anomaly.