Thermal expansions issues, HELP!

silvad

I never used "buildcraft" but i loved "IC2" and TE is giving me headaches.

already read this :"http://wiki.technicpack.net/IC2RP2ReplacementGuide", but not much help. went to the "thermal expansion" website but... arararrggg

main issue: only the "redstone energy conduit" works to transfer energy from the "steam engine" to the "furnace whatever" which is a bit harder to make and none of the "buildcraft" pipes (whatever that is) work -.-

2nd issue: what are my option to create energy?

just: stirling, steam and magmatic engine?

3rd: WHY THE HELL does the steam engine breaks after a couple of minutes? already placed an aquadededwhatever.

Industrial craft was so simple and had more options.. but this is making my head hurt =s

if IC2 is outdated, why didnt you use the same mods from voltz? god dammit

setup:

http://dragon-scale-studios.com/imaga/index.php/main/image/3703bb883942c7600bf65bcf826256c7.jpg

thanks

First of all, are you using Tekkit 1.0.6 (recommended), or Tekkit 1.1.5 (latest)? I'm not sure about 'conductive pipe', but it *may* be improved in 1.1.5. But, personally, I just stick to Redstone Energy Conduit because it's great. (and, yeah, a bit harder to make) But if you're too early for manufacturing REC, maybe just hook things up directly? (it appears maybe you did that in the image you shared)

It is true that stirling, steam, and magmatic are some good options. So is BioFuel, though that may be a bit of a stretch early on. If supplied coal and an adequate supply of water a Steam Engine should work well for you; but if you intend to leave it ON and walk away and the energy builds up to a point where it has nowhere to go... that's why it breaks down and requires a whack (i.e., right-click) with the wrench. That's where Redstone Energy Conduit comes in... it has some sort of energy bleed that seems to keep engines from seizing up (as long as you have at least two conduits between your engine and device (one out of the engine (orange) and one into the device (blue)). So maybe throw a lever on it and turn it off when you're done with it?

I tend to agree with you that things have gotten more complex, but I enjoy the challenge of figuring out the new system... even if it's painful at times (I've blown up more than my fair share of Stirling Engines... and everything around them... by leaving them unattended a bunch of times -- I'm a slow learner).

EDIT: If you can share some areas where you think the wiki is weak, I'll see what I can do about beefing it up a bit.

Trying to address your issues with what I think I know (not much btw)

Issue 1) Buildcraft conductive pipes were in a major transition phase for MC 1.5.2 and acted weirdly at time. The REC from TE was stable and so the easiest route was to use them for power distribution.

Issue 2) As weir mentioned above, there is also the MFR BioFuel option, and if you are playing 1.1.5 also Atomic Science generators (although I'm still trying to get my brain around "good" designs here)

issue 3) I personally have never had this issue provided there is a constant source of water (TE Aqueous Accumulator) and REC for power transport.

Final point. If you look at the state of the Voltz build for MC 1.5.2 , I'm not sure you would want to go down that route just yet. However, I'm sure it will be sorted out given time.

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/help-us-test-voltz-2-0-1.49927

"First of all, are you using Tekkit 1.0.6 (recommended), or Tekkit 1.1.5 (latest)? I'm not sure about 'conductive pipe', but it *may* be improved in 1.1.5. But, personally, I just stick to Redstone Energy Conduit because it's great. (and, yeah, a bit harder to make) But if you're too early for manufacturing REC, maybe just hook things up directly? (it appears maybe you did that in the image you shared)"

- Using Tekkit 1.0.6 in an home made dedicated server with a couple friends.

seems that the "REC" is the only way =\

"That's where Redstone Energy Conduit comes in... it has some sort of energy bleed that seems to keep engines from seizing up (as long as you have at least two conduits between your engine and device"

- So... with REC I can leave it on all the time?

"So maybe throw a lever on it and turn it off when you're done with it?"

- it works, but it kind sucks, since in IC2 I didnt have to shut down my machines =s

"I tend to agree with you that things have gotten more complex, but I enjoy the challenge of figuring out the new system... even if it's painful at times (I've blown up more than my fair share of Stirling Engines... and everything around them... by leaving them unattended a bunch of times -- I'm a slow learner)."

- gosh, I left one unattended xD

"EDIT: If you can share some areas where you think the wiki is weak, I'll see what I can do about beefing it up a bit."

- A list of "possible engines" would be good, saying that only the "RED" will work on them and that you cant let them on all the time

"I tend to agree with you that things have gotten more complex"

It looks more complex, with less options and 0% of the fun factor from building it =s

I might aswel install votz, already played and it was realy cool, like IC2! this new "tekkit" looks horrible =S

thanks for the reply, very appreciated

"As weir mentioned above, there is also the MFR BioFuel option, and if you are playing 1.1.5 also Atomic Science generators (although I'm still trying to get my brain around "good" designs here)"

- so... im gonna have to rechunk (whatever its called) for the map to generate uranium ore?

" I personally have never had this issue provided there is a constant source of water (TE Aqueous Accumulator) and REC for power transport."

- btw, does the engine has to be underwater?

"Final point. If you look at the state of the Voltz build for MC 1.5.2 , I'm not sure you would want to go down that route just yet. However, I'm sure it will be sorted out given time."

- nhe, whatever. i would go to the previews version, but.. i might not do it, since the lack of other mods which i want to explore later on and, my friend likes buildcraft, so..

thanks

"As weir mentioned above, there is also the MFR BioFuel option, and if you are playing 1.1.5 also Atomic Science generators (although I'm still trying to get my brain around "good" designs here)"

- so... im gonna have to rechunk (whatever its called) for the map to generate uranium ore?

" I personally have never had this issue provided there is a constant source of water (TE Aqueous Accumulator) and REC for power transport."

- btw, does the engine has to be underwater?

"Final point. If you look at the state of the Voltz build for MC 1.5.2 , I'm not sure you would want to go down that route just yet. However, I'm sure it will be sorted out given time."

- nhe, whatever. i would go to the previews version, but.. i might not do it, since the lack of other mods which i want to explore later on and, my friend likes buildcraft, so..

thanks

I personally would avoid trying to go down the route of retroactive ore generation. I tried it and it killed fps. If you want to go the route of fission reactors in 1.1.5, it is probably easier to gen up a new mystcraft age to quarry in.

However, the greatest potential seems to be with fusion reactors, which do not require any "new" ore. There is a good thread on this that Toki started in the Tekkit forum if you are interested.

For the TE Aqueous Accumulator, best results seems to be when it is surrounded by water. And it produces a lot of water without requiring power..

MFR BioFuel is perhaps the easiest goal at the moment, I'm generating a constant 1,000 MJ/t with my setup, and I don't know what to do with it all.

Overall, the pack in in a state of flux between MC 1.5.x and MC 1.6.x which requires some degree of patience and creativity at the moment. I enjoy the challenge that presents.

Good luck tackling the unknown, alongside all of us.....

"So maybe throw a lever on it and turn it off when you're done with it?"

- it works, but it kind sucks, since in IC2 I didnt have to shut down my machines =s

sucks? hmmm... is disappointing to you, sure. It just depends on how you look at it. To me, it's taking something that was too easy and bringing a bit of a challenge to it. With 'always on' engines and no consequences there wasn't nearly as much of a need for engineering. And that's the part of all this that I love.

- A list of "possible engines" would be good, saying that only the "RED" will work on them and that you cant let them on all the time

Yeah, I discovered after reading your first post that I had screwed up the engines links in the wiki (for steam and magmatic); that was a big mistake and all my fault... my apologies (and thanks for bringing it to my attention).

It looks more complex, with less options and 0% of the fun factor from building it =s

I might aswel install votz, already played and it was realy cool, like IC2! this new "tekkit" looks horrible =S

sorry you feel that way. I've found tons to love, and I admit my knee-jerk reaction when migrating from Classic was to miss RedPower (I thought Blutricity was the coolest; but that was the first Minecraft I'd ever played). I think if you stick it out you might like it just fine... but I can't make that decision for you.

thanks for the reply, very appreciated

you are most welcome :cheers:

I never used "buildcraft" but i loved "IC2" and TE is giving me headaches.

already read this :"http://wiki.technicpack.net/IC2RP2ReplacementGuide", but not much help. went to the "thermal expansion" website but... arararrggg

main issue: only the "redstone energy conduit" works to transfer energy from the "steam engine" to the "furnace whatever" which is a bit harder to make and none of the "buildcraft" pipes (whatever that is) work -.-

2nd issue: what are my option to create energy?

just: stirling, steam and magmatic engine?

3rd: WHY THE HELL does the steam engine breaks after a couple of minutes? already placed an aquadededwhatever.

Industrial craft was so simple and had more options.. but this is making my head hurt =s

if IC2 is outdated, why didnt you use the same mods from voltz? god dammit

setup:

http://dragon-scale-studios.com/imaga/index.php/main/image/3703bb883942c7600bf65bcf826256c7.jpg

thanks

Check this vids out they may give you some ideas of what to do

Basic form of energy with magma engines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIqmcbgdWnI

Automating machines with AE