Certain Features Missing

plasticcap

I have been playing some of the other modpacks, and they seem to work fine. But i just started playing tekkit, and there seem to be a few specific things missing. The first one i noticed is that nothing happens when i put iron ingot in a furnace, no refined iron is smelted. Also, i can't craft a treetap. Is one mod missing, and if so why and what should i do? i thought it was an old version, but its supposed to autoupdate. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Those things are missing because the mod they are from isn't part of the pack. :P

Tekkit is quite different from Tekkit Lite, Tekkit Classic, FTB, etc. and takes some getting used to, but give it a chance. The feel is very different (Less early game content- Pneumatic tubes, barrels, etc.) but everything is equally possible.

At the very basic level, use what gets the job done. Start with steam engines (not Sterling they're volatile and Redstone engines won't work at all for power generation but they can power pumps for your water supply, albeit slowly) and conductive pipes. Wooden conductive pipes are required to connect the engines to the rest of your piping which can be either stone or gold conductive pipes which has to simply touch the machine you're trying to power (in most cases, a very small amount of machines allow power only on certain sides). You can burn the coal / charcoal that you find / make. You can use makeshift batteries to store small amounts of power for later use. While there's no risk of explosion with steam engines it's still a good idea to at least attach a lever so you can switch them off when you don't need them so you save juice and resources.

After you are able to obtain more resources you can upgrade. You can upgrade to using Redstone Energy Conduit. You can also use Energy Tesserects to wirelessly transmit power (at a 20% power cost and with throughput limitations but you wouldn't be reaching those limits right now anyway). Redstone Energy Cells are replacements for makeshift batteries that store much more power. Magmatic engines are a safe upgrade to steam engines that run on lava. The most readily available source of lava is of course the nether. A pump, a dimensional anchor or other such chunk loader block and an energy and liquid tesserect placed into the nether will provide you with virtually limitless lava at the cost of some possible lag and having to occasionally move the pump to fresh lava lakes.

More advanced power generation setups include combustion engines running on fuel refined from oil, BioFuel generators which run on BioFuel refined from tree saplings, veggies and a few other assorted items and finally nuclear reactors using either Fission reactors (which run on processed Uranium) or Fusion Reactors (which run on fuel derived from water) both of which produce steam to spin turbines to generate power. Of these options Combustion engines are probably the easiest to maintain but special care is needed as they can explode if they overheat or overload. It takes considerable power to refine oil but the benefit outweighs the cost. Fortunately Combustion engines can run on oil alone at a reduced rate of power. BioFuel requires either a lot of legwork on your part or several automated farms for the different vegetation used to produce the fuel. If you do manage to get a setup going, biofuel is very safe since they won't explode like Sterling and Combustion engines. The two nuclear reactor types represent the end game power generation techniques that require a lot of resources, complicated designs and good old fashioned elbow-grease to implement reliably, but the power generation is enormous and worth it in the end.

the wiki has this, which might be helpful. Also,

Powering things can be done by (in order of increasing complexity):

Power can be transferred by:

Power can be stored using:

My advice would be to use Buildcraft pipes early on for power until you have a decent supply of obsidian (or make it) and then switch to redstone energy conduits. They are vastly superior. There's a ton of research on most of this stuff around here in about a dozen threads (I started a fair number of them to answer my own questions :P ) so check those out if you get confused. Otherwise just make a new thread or find one that's relevant and post in there. As long as you're on topic necro'ing isn't really a problem here.

I also had this problem I didn't have much of a clue as to where to begin because all the goalposts moved. But it has resulted in me exploring the world much more than if I just went down to level 10 and found a few diamonds to get a philosophers stone up and running and just dupe what I needed from there. The only issue was knowing what to get, my first priority was simply to find the machines that deal with ore processing and work up from there.

Once you get a Pulveriser you can create the next tier of metals used in recipes, so this would always be your first goal. When you have an induction smelter you can create a few more and it can replace your Pulveriser if you can generate a lot of sand. Once you have a solid base you can pretty much make a lot of the equipment. Its just knowing what to build for the setup that you want.

Rednet controller is frankly a big chunk of awesome.

My advice is to watch some Lets Play series for the new Tekkit on Youtube.

I was able to hit the ground running. I had played a lot of Tekkit Lite before Tekkit came out, and I researched and experimented with the fancy new Thermal Expansion stuff as I macerated my ores with IC2. By the time Tekkit was released, I was a Thermal Expansion pro.