Tekkit Hosting

Gomo

Hi there guys. At the moment I'm using hamachi to play with few friends of mine on a tekkit server. I was wondering if there's any other/better software that works the same way as hamachi ? Thanks in advance! (and I apologize if I posted this in wrong forum section)

I was going to suggest this.

I've signed up on that site. Can you please explain it in short how to set it up so it works. Do I need to port forward the DNS that I created for my IP address ? and do I set my tekkit server to that DNS in "server IP" options ?

I've signed up on that site. Can you please explain it in short how to set it up so it works. Do I need to port forward the DNS that I created for my IP address ? and do I set my tekkit server to that DNS in "server IP" options ?

I don't know, I have a static IP. I found that site on Google.

Your server doesn't change.

On your router you need to port forward to your server.

With whatever ddns service you go with you need to run their client so it keeps them updated with what your public IP is.

The for users you just have them connect to your ddns public domain name and the port you told your router to forward.

Best instructions I can give.

Here's yet another dynamic DNS service. DNS is short for Domain Name Service and is responsible for changing "www.google.com" to "123.123.123.123." A dynamic DNS service gives you a "subdomain" on one of many domains, for example bob.example.com which you configure to change into your IP address when you sign up for the service. Anyone wishing to connect to your server would use bob.example.com. The problem is that most residential ISPs provide what's called a dynamic IP address. That means your IP address will change from time to time. When your IP address changes either you or one of the many helper utilities out there will update the IP address for bob.example.com to point to the new address.

Do I need to port forward the DNS that I created for my IP address?

DNS has nothing to do with port forwarding and you will still need to configure your router as normal for hosting a MineCraft server.

do I set my tekkit server to that DNS in "server IP" options ?

Nope. I've never had to configure the Server IP setting. It's use stems from more advanced server configurations where a single physical server has multiple IP addresses associated to it and you only wanted to host MineCraft on one of them.

Thanks a lot guys for all the help. I actually figured my way out and made it work! (didn't check forums for few hours - was trying to make it work) I never did it before and that's why it was a bit confusing at start but now I understand. Once again, I appreciate all your help and I'm glad that there's always people that are willing to help out! Cheers