Lots of tanks, sounds cool, don't do it.

Timendainum

So,

We've been working on a massive oil storage area. Our current supply of around 8k buckets wasn't cutting it so we hatched a plan to build a massive tank arrangement involve 125k tanks in a 50x50x50 arrangement.

So you set up your AE system to autocraft tanks and set up a set of 20 induction furnaces to cook glass, and 20 pulverizers to make sand from cobble and we fed that directly into a filler to build the "oil cube of doom".

Sounds cool eh? 2 million buckets of oil storage potential.

Yeah, so it killed our server. The buckets cause server memory usage to spike beyond what our host allows and we started having disconnection problems. So if you want to do this, make sure you have LOTS of server RAM.

So tore it down, now I have 80k tanks sitting in AE, and we still can't store 2M buckets of oil. :(

Plan number 2. Put oil into buckets, store buckets in AE. This will work, but now requires 6M iron ingots to get 2M buckets of storage. Which is a lot more than the 50k or so we have in iron right now.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas for storing large amounts of liquids?

So,

We've been working on a massive oil storage area. Our current supply of around 8k buckets wasn't cutting it so we hatched a plan to build a massive tank arrangement involve 125k tanks in a 50x50x50 arrangement.

So you set up your AE system to autocraft tanks and set up a set of 20 induction furnaces to cook glass, and 20 pulverizers to make sand from cobble and we fed that directly into a filler to build the "oil cube of doom".

Sounds cool eh? 2 million buckets of oil storage potential.

Yeah, so it killed our server. The buckets cause server memory usage to spike beyond what our host allows and we started having disconnection problems. So if you want to do this, make sure you have LOTS of server RAM.

So tore it down, now I have 80k tanks sitting in AE, and we still can't store 2M buckets of oil. :(

Plan number 2. Put oil into buckets, store buckets in AE. This will work, but now requires 6M iron ingots to get 2M buckets of storage. Which is a lot more than the 50k or so we have in iron right now.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas for storing large amounts of liquids?

You can build BC tanks at 16 buckets per block or you can use rail craft liquid managers that hold 128 buckets per block.

There is a great thread on this forum from a while ago called liquid storage solutions. There are some really good implementations of liquid managers on there, complete with pictures.

Liquid managers(LM) hold a lot more per block then a BC tank, they are also able to manage the liquids in complex ways that you could never do with BC tanks. Only drawback is, each LM is a single block and can not interact directly with another LM, they require piping to interact with each other. but being able to hold as much as 32 BC tanks in a single block has its benefits.

Liquid managers(LM) hold a lot more per block then a BC tank, they are also able to manage the liquids in complex ways that you could never do with BC tanks. Only drawback is, each LM is a single block and can not interact directly with another LM, they require piping to interact with each other. but being able to hold as much as 32 BC tanks in a single block has its benefits.

I don't see how needing liqiducts or pipes is a draw back???

9 BC tanks hold 144 buckets.

4 liquid managers that can fit in the same 3 X 3 spot, including pipes and red-stone block, hold 512 buckets.

That is 350% more, before including the extra that may be stored in the pipes or liqiduct.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or *facepalm*. Add a new definition to go big or go home huh?

Let me illustrate my liquid storage solution, albeit it doesn't store 2m buckets of anything but it can be scaled. Here's some screenshots. These little beauties are Liquid Managers (the multicolored blocks are at least). One block that holds 128 buckets of up to 4 types of liquid. They're originally from the Steve's Carts 2 mod and have a lot of functionality for that mod, but they're great for holding large amounts of a single liquid. They can act exactly like BC Tanks except that they do not join together to form a multi-block structure. The solution is to chain them together with Liquiducts. There are many ways to do this but here's my solution.

In the first image, you see my liquid storage pocket dimension with my LM liquid arrays. I have 3 large tank arrays holding oil, lava and liquid meat and 4 smaller arrays holding liquid redstone, ender, mob essence and pink slime. I grouped liquid managers can be grouped into "cells" illustrated in the next two images. Four LMs spaced apart with liquiducts in between and a redstone source in the middle, blocks being the least hassle. Notice that each LM has two connections, one in and one out. You can stack these LM cells as many times as you want and you can place them adjacent to one another as seen in the 2nd image. If you are consistent with where the input and outputs are on each cell in the stack you'll end up with a vertical pipe that is independent from it's fellows as you see in the first image. You use these pipes to either pump liquid in or out of the system. I chose to use Liquid Tesserects at the base of these units for transporting liquid in and out of the tanks (and pocket dimension). I have a single tesserect at the base of the vertical pipes and as you can see in the last image I have (a lot of) tesserect channels that correspond to in or out from the array.

The trouble with this build is that if you cross connect your oil source pipes to the input tesserect of the wrong tank it does some strange things. Since the LMs can hold 4 types of liquid the erroneous liquid will either enter the LM and take up one of it's internal tanks or worse remain inside your input liquiducts and block any further input of the correct liquid.

Edit: Damn my verbosity... you guys got there first...

I believe that the LM should also have very little memory usage, they don't show the liquid they are storing, it is all done with internal numbers. The memory usage it will have should at least be less then the high cost of your huge BC tank farm.

Phazeonphoenix does have an elegant solution to the LM's quirks. And his design does scale quite well.

4 rows of rec's. Input in the center area between all the cells. 2 output lines on the outside, that link to each other, but not the center input line. Fairly good and balanced way to buffer store large amounts of power. each tower can be a single power buffer on it's own tesseract channel, with several other towers nearby for different channels.

I like this idea a lot. We haven't put much though into alternative power storage design since TE removed the loss in redstone energy conduits.

I will have to look at some options here such that I can still hook the cells up as CC peripherals.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or *facepalm*. Add a new definition to go big or go home huh?

Tekkit adds the capability of massive scale. I would say this is the 3rd or 4th time we've caused major server issues due to our very large scale projects. We really like to push the limits.

If you think this is ridiculous you should have seen our storage system from Tekkit Lite before we discovered AE. It was.... silly.

4 rows of rec's. Input in the center area between all the cells. 2 output lines on the outside, that link to each other, but not the center input line. Fairly good and balanced way to buffer store large amounts of power. each tower can be a single power buffer on it's own tesseract channel, with several other towers nearby for different channels.

Picture please

I love using Liquid Managers and have been following the excellent setup at http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/whats-your-liquid-storage-solution.49591/#post-409928.

One warning on scale, we managed to use this set up to fill a 64x64 quarry hole and crashed our server as well. Looks like the culprit was the Liquiducts themselves. When rearranged to have less intersections, the massive lag went away. Seems like the liquiducts may suffer the same problem of lag due to excessive intersections that old IC2 wiring had, with different thresholds.

*Edit, clarification

**Note, this was just based on what we changed. I have not fully tested this theory out.

Ah that was one of the threads I based my design off of. Any one of those are viable with a little refinement. I seem to have a thing with symmetry so the solid cube design was appealing. Which design did you start with? I'm curious if yours was similar to mine but biiiiig lol.

I believe you have to be careful not to create loops with the pipes in these arrays. At first I tried a design where the input and output pipes in my design where all connected at the bottom and that's where I fed and drew from simultaneously. I think the liquid would continually circulate through the system. In one LM then back out and into another. If this happened to you too at 64x64xbedrock sized array... God lol now what am I going to have to do to try and top you guys hmm...

There wasn't a loop but the guy cllaimed he had 40000 liquiducts in there. It was so laggy we had to roll back his work.

I personally am using that template expanded to dual banks of 48x16 x6 high. I will line the outside with turbines in sets of 2x9 towers with a single Liquid Manager buffer per set. Once it's all done, i'll post pics.

We've redesigned our setup to be a single tower with 10,240 buckets of storage just for oil. We converted our old oil tanks to just fuel, for about 6k buckets of storage. Which gives up approximately 6 days of fuel in the cans, plus 10k oil on reserve, so we should get a little over two weeks supply.

One of the things that drove us to the idea for massive storage was changes in Mystcraft here recently that makes oil ocean worlds SUPER unstable. So we were going to try to just grab up a f*ck ton of oil and be done with it for a while.

What we did in stead was to disable decay in Mystcraft.

We didn't take the decision lightly, as it's pretty easy to create super OP worlds now. But, the decision came down to, do we want things to be "balanced" or do we want our server to run. So we went with the server running. :P

In any case, we're going to build several more storage towers like this for other liquids.

Next on the list is to double the size of the combustion engine stacks. Then, I'll start working on a fusion reactor. That combined with our current fission reactor should be enough to run our AE system, auto factories, a set of 4 quarries and 2 laser drills.

Hmm, interesting solution to oil supply problems. That was one of my turn offs for fuel and combustion engines that finding oil is like a never ending scavenger hunt for drops in the bucket. That and the risk of coming online to a crater instead of a power plant lol :D. If you like massive scale builds a single fusion reactor setup that would power all those devices would be right up your alley. There are a couple really good threads on the subject. I'd only suggest to place the reactor well away from the rest of your builds. The spinning rotors of the turbines causes quite a bit of client side lag and you can't turn it off as of yet.

Combustion engines will run forever if you set them up correctly. You need to feed each set of 4 engines with an aqueous accumulator. This will keep them cool and will keep them running at max output indefinitely. You can make easy and scalable early game energy systems with it. With Mystcraft you can get a limitless supply of oil (keeping stability in mind).

We keep the engines around as the core supply. We've been using the fission reactor for a high demand supply, like when we're running quarries or the laser drill.

So far, with the fission reactor I've got 35 large turbines. The fusion design I'm looking at will need something like 80. We haven't had issues with client lag yet on the 35, but I'm guessing that once we add an additional 80 turbines we will start to feel the bite.