Autofeed Fission Reactor

SiLeNtCovenant

Does anyone know if there's a way to automatically feed the Fissel Fuel Rods into a Fission Reactor? I know it doesn't take a lot of effort to do so, but it'd be nice to know that it can be done.

A friend and myself are relatively new to Tekkit and are starting from the bottom, we're working on getting a Fission Reactory working so that we can really get our machines off the ground.

Also, what're your recommendations for intermediate power before getting the reactor up? We're currently using steam engines to power our little machines to craft materials. Coal is starting to become a pain...

a good transition power source would be to go with either lava pumped from the nether or a lava mystcraft age and into a set of magmatic engines. or build yourself automated farms to supply a set of bioreactors. These will produce biofuel to run biofuel generators. Biofuel generators alone can be an end game power source, but reactors are simply fun projects to make and operate.

As for the reactor its self. I suggest reading THIS topic. It's a compilation if information discovered by many of the forum regulars dealing with the atomic science mod. There is a link at the top of that topic that can take you to the original topic that started it all.

To automate the reactor can be complicated. But only if you wish to retrieve cells just before they are used up. If your not worried about that, adding the cells from the top via ME export bus is easiest to setup. The length of time each cell takes to be used up can vary a bit so using a timer is difficult. Simpliest way to run it is to add cells manually. But we all know that's too easy. ;)

other then using an ME export bus, I'm not really sure on how to automate one. Most of my experience is with Fusion reactors.

Fission? You’re brave, fusion is really easy comparatively, You can auto feed it the same way as fusion. I just use logistic pipes and it works fine. Another guy on my server does it with his fission as well, jJst have a Logistics supplier pipe tell the logistic system to keep it stocked and as long and it has somewhere to get the breeder rods from your golden

Friendly advice though, Fusion is easier as you can get deuterium from water, for breeder rods you need to keep finding uranium ( I have been saving my uranium for ICBM BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......cough...hack ...wheeeze

Fission? You’re brave, fusion is really easy comparatively, You can auto feed it the same way as fusion. I just use logistic pipes and it works fine. Another guy on my server does it with his fission as well, jJst have a Logistics supplier pipe tell the logistic system to keep it stocked and as long and it has somewhere to get the breeder rods from your golden

Friendly advice though, Fusion is easier as you can get deuterium from water, for breeder rods you need to keep finding uranium ( I have been saving my uranium for ICBM BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......cough...hack ...wheeeze

I guess that's the next step after Fission, since it takes a Fission reactor to make a Fusion reactor. We're just about finished with getting it up and running, we'll use that for a bit to run several quarries and get more materials before we go Fusion. Is that the best type of power? I'd like to get something that's 'near' self sustaining but outputs a lot of energy. Haven't looked into Biofuel yet. Never even crossed my mind, actually.

Biofuel can be a bit broken with how easy it can be to produce power with it. But, it does require setting up automated farms to keep it supplied with the stuff it can convert into biofuel. It uses things like seeds, saplings, carrots, potatoes, squid ink, that sort of stuff to make biofuel in a biofuel reactor.

Fusion can eventually be made self sustaining. It does take some tinkering to get a good setup running for you. But once you've got it running the way you want it, you should have more then enough power output to run at least 1 chemical extractor for deuterium, a cyclic assembler or AE auto crafter to make empty cells, a MFR laser drill if you want to completely isolate the resource demand of your reactor from the rest of your base, and plenty left over to run the rest of your base. A single laser drill can supply enough tin to run an efficient fusion reactor, but you'd require more then one for a high output reactor. Luckily, a high output fusion reactor can easily produce enough power to run multiple laser drills at 400Mj/tick each.

Best power source you ask? Well, there really is no "best" in Tekkit. Fission runs a long time on a single cell and still outputs a considerable amount of power. Fusion has the potential to output more power then even redstone energy conduits can handle on their own, but eat through cells far quicker then fission. Efficient setups use 1-2 cells every 8 minutes while high output reactors can chew through a cell every minute or two. Biofuel tends to output less power then either fission or fusion, but once automated farms are setup and running smoothly, is completely hands off and only output the power you need reguardless of how large of a setup is made. This makes biofuel the most efficient. Other then that, lava is still a favorite, and magmatic engines are also quite efficient with using it.