Sign in to follow this  
SXScarecrow

Weird modpack bug

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I recently updated my modpack to 1.6.4, and I have encountered the weirdest bug I have ever seen. It involves the ID's for Tinker's Construct, and I have dubbed it the 'Phantom ID' bug.

Here are the config files, containing the ID's, for client and server respectively:

Client

Server

Would you not agree that they match exactly? However, on connection to a server that is running the same version of the modpack as the client is, some players get this error:

80936fc4-7aee-11e3-867e-694c28d6358c.png

(You can see other player's issues about it on my GitHub issue tracker here)

However, the majority of players that try to connect do NOT get the error (myself included) and can connect to the server just fine. I understand exactly what this is telling me, but I do not know why or how this is happening. The configs are exactly the same server and client side, most of us CAN connect but a few people can't because of this bug. I can't recreate it myself which makes it doubly hard to pin down the source of the problem. It's almost like the ID's modify themselves, which is not possible. Can anyone explain this or why it might be happening?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's Forge's messed up auto ID system for ya, I ran into this problem before, pain in the ass to fix. Had to rebuild my modpack, because different java versions handle the IDs differently, it's a mess. It seems like some of your item ids are conflicting and Forge is handling sorting them in different ways depending on what version of Java people are using, check to make sure you don't have any ID conflicts. It's weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently updated my Java to Java 7 Update 45. Would that be the source of the problem, because I built modpacks fine using update 25. I really don't want to rebuild the damned thing all over again for it not to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That might be it but I recommend getting notepad++ (if you don;t have it already) and checking through all the configs to make sure there's no conflicts (IDs taking up the same number)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you rebuild, see if the results are different joining on a machine with java 6, also what version of java does the pc running the server have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the readout from the server machine:

Operating System: Linux (amd64) version 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64

Java Version: 1.7.0_45, Oracle Corporation

Java VM Version: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation

This is fairly strange, since I did build the modpack in 7u45, and also while I (on a Windows 64 bit, running 7u45) can connect to the server fine, this guy running:

OS: Linux 3.12.6-1-ARCH - KDE

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.3) (ArchLinux build 7.u45_2.4.3-1-x86_64)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)

cannot in fact connect to the server. More weird shizzwoz from Forge I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this