Single-layer steam funnels not working?

neromir

I'm testing out 1.2.1 on a single-player instance in order to start prepping for possibly moving my server over to it once it gets a bit more stabilized, but I'm running into some issues with trying to make a functional fusion/fission reactor with steam funnels, and I was hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out. I'm not posting this in the 1.2.0 thread because I'm not convinced this is necessarily a 1.2.0 problem; it looks like a few people in there have functional steam funnels without issue.

The best way to explain the problem is to see the screenshot. I did a very simple fission-reactor example, just to test this as simply as possible. The turbines right above the water at right are spinning just like they should (reactor is on in screenshot). The turbines above the steam funnels at left aren't doing anything. Everything I've been reading has said it should be working. Am I doing something wrong here, or should this be working? Any ideas?

kvf4D10.png

steam funnels can only output into pipes or fluiducts. a single fluiduct between the turbines and funnels is the minimum needed. in the 1.6.4 release, you only need to connect the fluiduct to the funnel and it should work, otherwise it will need to be switched to pump mode. a redstone signal is no longer needed for the fluiduct to pump.

No solution here. Just additional info that might help others with troubleshooting. I've been struggling with this issue as well since the update to 1.6.4.

Just like with your experience, turbines work fine without the steam funnel. But, the *bug* appears to be with the steam funnel itself since I can't get it to work with fluiducts or directly with a turbine. (I'm testing with a fusion reactor.)

I've tried the steam funnel with and without fluiducts. I've tried fluiducts with and without servos (for control). I've tried with and without redstone signal (Also tried changing signal requirements via the servo control). A sample meter check displays the following:

Fluid: Steam

Amount: 0/18000 mB

Throughput: 360 mB/t

Not working.

Additional Info

I neglected to include that I used the Crescent Hammer to change the direction of flow in the fluiduct. No help there.

Version info:

Minecraft ver 1.6.4

Tekkit ver 1.2.1

Thanks for the input, jakalth, but unfortunately I've already tried that. I started trying to work on a fusion reactor with fluiducts going to other steam turbines, and I wasn't getting any output whatsoever. I can see plasma being generated, and placing turbines directly over the water gets them to spin, but I can't get steam to pass through the steam funnels with fluiducts in any configuration I've tried. My problem is pretty much exactly the same as AlBme, complete with multi-meter output, and the fact I was using the crescent hammer.

I may see if I can get it to work with water-proof pipes. For context, here's the fusion reactor that I started with (Imgur album):

0PPJMFn.png

Thanks for the input, jakalth, but unfortunately I've already tried that. I started trying to work on a fusion reactor with fluiducts going to other steam turbines, and I wasn't getting any output whatsoever. I can see plasma being generated, and placing turbines directly over the water gets them to spin, but I can't get steam to pass through the steam funnels with fluiducts in any configuration I've tried. My problem is pretty much exactly the same as AlBme, complete with multi-meter output, and the fact I was using the crescent hammer.

I may see if I can get it to work with water-proof pipes. For context, here's the fusion reactor that I started with (Imgur album):

0PPJMFn.png

Hey neromir,

I noticed in your screenshot that you have double-stacked funnels in your fusion design -- at least in the periphery. It was indicated, (somewhere in the forums prior to this release), that multi-stacked funnels will no longer work for this update. However, in my own simple test set up, I'm only using a single stack of steam funnels -- as you did with your fission design.

I mention this only for clarification and not as criticism. I still lean towards the possibility that there is a bug in the Atomic Science mod in this particular update. It's a miracle that mod packs like Tekkit work at all -- a testament to how hard it is to get it to work at all.

Hopefully, the modders will get wind of this and track down the issue or *bug*.

it probably is a bug dealing with atomic science. But which mod it is interacting with it and doing this I'm not sure, yet. I'll have to do some digging with the test map I have setup and see what I can find. Hopefully it's something simple.

Edit: Yes, I can confirm that in Tekkit 1.2.1 Fluiducts can not recieve steam from steam funnels. Now to figure out why...

Solution found. It is in the Atomic science config file. Look for this line near the bottom: B:"Allow Layered Turbines"=false Set this to true and fluiducts can pipe steam just fine again. The fluiducts do not even need to be set to pump mode anymore to work with steam funnels it seems.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. That seems like an odd default value for the config file; if I'm interpreting it right, with that value set to false, steam funnels are useless, correct?

Also, I can confirm that changing it resolves the issue, and not only do fluiducts not need to be set to pump mode, they don't actually work if they're in pump mode. I had to tear all mine out and set them to default mode, then steam began to flow.

yea I am testing it still, thought the funnels where, I am clearly doing something wrong, the fluid ducts wouldn't work without the red stone signal but then only ran for awhile an stopped, I removed the redstone block and it started again for awhile then stopped, so i switch it to pump mode and it ran for awhile then stopped. I added pnemonic servos to all the pipes it ran for awhile then stopped, going to try single layer steam funnels for some reason I thought Allow Layered Turbines"=true would allow stacked funnels too but I am guessing no

The reactor burns up in the releasing of the plasma, all that is left of it is a random number of deuterium cells, I have replaced it numerous times, I guess it has to do with the new version of atomic science I am not sure though. Is it possible it the chunkloader is having issues. it seems fine when I am there but I cant hang there forever. It is always when I am coming back to check on it that I hear it slowing down

could be an issue with chunk loading. Atomic science has always been a little finicky. And there were quite a few changes to how it works between 1.5.4 and 1.6.2, so who knows if the parts of the reactor are all working the same on your setup...

The new version of atomic science (which we installed last night) seemed to have fixed it, it returned all my large turbines to small ones, I remade them into large ones and the reactor has been running since without issue. I think this issue is resolved