And my personal question is, why is IC2 being left out of any new or updating modpacks?

​As a matter of personal opinion, I'd say it's probably because modern IC2 is a bunch of gregified garbage (i.e. adding a bunch of unnecessary steps and just making everything a grind and whatnot) and nowadays other mods do pretty much everything it does but better, but hey I'm just a forum moderator, I don't have anything to do with what goes into the packs, and my opinions don't reflect those of the people that do.

Really though. Even old IC2, back before the gregification, isn't as good as what we get with other mods now if you ask me. Just look at stuff like Thermal Expansion, Mekanism, Ender IO, Big Reactors, etc. Fantastic tech mods.

​As a matter of personal opinion, I'd say it's probably because modern IC2 is a bunch of gregified garbage (i.e. adding a bunch of unnecessary steps and just making everything a grind and whatnot) and nowadays other mods do pretty much everything it does but better, but hey I'm just a forum moderator, I don't have anything to do with what goes into the packs, and my opinions don't reflect those of the people that do.

Really though. Even old IC2, back before the gregification, isn't as good as what we get with other mods now if you ask me. Just look at stuff like Thermal Expansion, Mekanism, Ender IO, Big Reactors, etc. Fantastic tech mods.

​Ya, but wait, why in the world did Greg from Gregtech take over IC2?!? I don't know much about Gregtech but I heard it's overly complicated and has crappy textures but still interesting. But the premise of IC2 which already had some pretty complex crafting recipe was power, now it's more than that. What happend to it?

I don't know if it was greg or not- IIRC at some point he promised not to change the way IC2 works- but I can quote an example of what's happened to IC2 from an old post on the FTB Reddit:

I used to love IC2. Whenever I would start a new world, IC2 was always the first mod to tackle. It's recipes had an elegant balance of being difficult to make and having a strong impact on the game.

Now, it's stupid.

Here is an example:

Here is how I used to make Reinforced Stone:

Machines required: Compressor and EU. Craft mixed metal ingots -> compress mixed metal ingots -> surround the resulting advanced alloy with stone -> 8 blocks of reinforced stone. Yay!

How I make the BARE MINIMUM Reinforced stone now:

Machines required: Compressor, Thermal Centrifuge, Canning Machine, Metal Former, EU.

(1). Crush cobblestone in the thermal centrifuge -> take stone dust and craft with sand and clay -> craft CF powder. (2). Make a CF sprayer.

(3). Make a tank with water and pipe the water inside the Canning machine. Don't put a water container directly into the machine, but right-click with the container in your hand.

(4) -> (1),(3) Set the canning machine to "Enrich" -> put the CF powder in the middle slot -> fill the right tank with construction foam (CF) -> use an empty container and right-click the canning machine with it in hand to move all the construction foam from the tank on the right to the tank on the left.

(5) -> (2),(4) Put the canning machine in "fill from tank" mode -> Place the CF sprayer in the left slot and wait for it to fill it with CF.

(6). Put the Metal former into "rolling" mode -> Place iron in the Metal Former and make Iron Plates -> Place the iron plates back into the metal former and make Iron Item Casings -> Put the Metal Former into extruding mode -> Put the Iron Item Casings back into the metal former and make Metal Fences -> Craft Iron Scaffold.

(7) -> (5),(6) Find an empty unused space and place down the Iron scaffolds -> Use the CF Sprayer filled with CF and right-click once on the Scaffold (if you click multiple times you'll make a huge mess of CF that will only make one useful piece anyway) -> Wait for the CF to dry and turn dark grey -> 1 block of reinforced stone.

This is not fun. This is infuriating and dull. This is sweeping an apartment using a toothpick. It is a frustrating chore that takes HOURS just to make a piece of a piece of a piece.

Source, for reference.

I don't know if it was greg or not- IIRC at some point he promised not to change the way IC2 works- but I can quote an example of what's happened to IC2 from an old post on the FTB Reddit:

Source, for reference.

​I see what has happened. One of the best mods ever is being forsaken and left out of modpacks because the only fond memories anyone has of it is in the old modpacks like Technic SSP or Tekkit. This really sucks, they managed to ruin an entire mod that had an airtight reputation and a sky high popularity. No wonder Kakermix left it out of the new Tekkit main. :'(

If you really want to play with IC2, Immibis made a mod that recreates IC2 back how it was in 1.4.7. You could always add it manually.

Link to mod

Do note that IC2 addons won't work with it unless they're ported, so there is that downside.

If you really want to play with IC2, Immibis made a mod that recreates IC2 back how it was in 1.4.7. You could always add it manually.

Link to mod

Do note that IC2 addons won't work with it unless they're ported, so there is that downside.

​I see, to be honest, in terms of Minecraft, 2011 and 2012 were the best years for it especially for modding. Well, as Yogscast Duncan would put it, All good things...   

​I see, to be honest, in terms of Minecraft, 2011 and 2012 were the best years for it especially for modding. Well, as Yogscast Duncan would put it, All good things...   

That's only true if you focus entirely on the old "core" mods and completely ignore what else the community has produced since.

IC2 was cool, but definitely not the ultimate pinacle of minecraft modding.

Boy this is a hell of a necro, but I guess there's still conversation to be had.

I disagree that tekkit classic was like the pinnacle of modding although a lot of people obviously feel as you do.  Classic's still one of our most popular packs.  The reason we can't revive Technic SSP is that we honestly don't have the old files.  There is a pack that is on the platform that claims to be Technic SSP.  I think it might be but we actually don't know and can't check.  Regardless, it seems just fine to us to let that pack exist and continue existing- http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/removed-modpack.21133

Technically against our TOS, but that guy's doing us a favor so we let it slide.

Boy this is a hell of a necro, but I guess there's still conversation to be had.

I disagree that tekkit classic was like the pinnacle of modding although a lot of people obviously feel as you do.  Classic's still one of our most popular packs.  The reason we can't revive Technic SSP is that we honestly don't have the old files.  There is a pack that is on the platform that claims to be Technic SSP.  I think it might be but we actually don't know and can't check.  Regardless, it seems just fine to us to let that pack exist and continue existing- http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/removed-modpack.21133

Technically against our TOS, but that guy's doing us a favor so we let it slide.

​Wait... you guys deleted the old Technic SSP files? Also wanted to ask you, my old dead hard drive, which I'm planning on recovering, has all my old Technic SSP worlds, could those worlds work with this guy's revival pack?

I'm wondering, did the Technic team completely delete the back end stuff and the files for Technic SSP or did they archive them somewhere?

I'm wondering, did the Technic team completely delete the back end stuff and the files for Technic SSP or did they archive them somewhere?

The reason we can't revive Technic SSP is that we honestly don't have the old files.

​That seems fairly conclusive, doesn't it?