Tutorial - Fix White screen after press play Build 4.493 (most recent) OR Modpack failing to launch reopening launcher insteadBy CreeperNukeBoom
Steps to remedy white screen after press play issue for build 4.493 OR Modpack fails to launch (applicable to any modpack) reopening launcher instead
This topic is constantly being updated so feel free to check back on it.
1. Sometimes logging off and logging back in solves a lot of program related issues.
If logging off didn't work then it is a different software / config issue.
2. Ensure you have the latest version of java. A lot of people may suggest to use java 7.
However I would not recommend this. Reasons being:
a. Java 8 contains the framework for java 7. each version is usually an improvement or addition.
b. For me java 7 simply crashes my modpacks. Either it makes them unlaunchable or they crash too randomly.
3. Some people recently have reported that downgrading java has fixed their problem. In which case uninstall and install java a version down at a time until you find what fixes it for you.
4. Ensure you have the latest graphics driver.
I have noticed that this problem tends to pop its head up the moment that a new graphics driver version is available but I haven't installed it yet.
From a programmers perspective. And I have reason to believe that it has been like this for decades now (ever since ver.1 possibly)...
They most likely have a piece of code in the driver that literally reads as:
if @DriverVer not @LatestVer then $error
To throw a logged error without a message would be a much more subtle approach than just throwing an error with message.
This would overload the CPU/GPU silently if it is repeated and also has the potential to slow down our HDDs from excessive read/write.
I have reason to believe that this is done to (gently) force us to keep our drivers updated.
I mean after all... outdated drivers never crash computers... they just simply make it run sslllooowwwww.
So if you happen to notice similar behavior as soon as there is a driver update available (for any device), you will know why.
Nothing that any of us can do really except to just keep our drivers up to date.
This is from the knowledge an ex I.T. Technician Assistant
5. Ensure you have allocated enough RAM in Launcher options under java settings. I would recommend at least half of your available RAM to leave enough for system operations.
6. If you have a 64 bit system. use x64 java not x82. Using mismatched java can cause all sorts of problems. Why? Because your CPU / GPU needs to work in ways its not supposed to So in a way this can also cause blue screens!
7. Sometimes just closing the launcher, making sure that all instances of javaw.exe are closed in task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del). and then reopening can solved white screen.
8. Some times the white screen just needs a little patience. no longer than 10 minutes ideally however.
Hope this tutorial helps, and if you guys find any other remedies for this most recent build feel free to post them below. I may or may not edit this post to include them. See if i have time but no promises ;). Will add any other fixes I find that are also common answers. If you feel any of them should be credited to anyone in particular do tell me ;). But in the interest of preventing Accidental Topic Spamming please PM me this info and I will do my best to update it ASAP.
Edit: I think this should get pinned :).
One of my attack of the b-team worlds crashes the game when the world loads. All the other worlds seem to work fine!
This is a crash report -
I'm not sure anyone knows any potential fixes to this, but if you do please let me know!
So Ive just downloaded the launcher. I log in, everything is fine. The discover page, is white, exept for the top and bottom borders. I can adjust settings and switch tabs, but no modpacks load and none of the technic packs are there to install and play. Just nothing, and i tried redownloading it, and still nothing. Help?
Hello, I'm italian, so sorry for my error, I'm here to speak with you for my problem.
My problem is that when I open the launcher and I click on the buttons Play to play the modpack, it runs and after 2 seconds the screen is always white (of the modpack)
But when I had windows 8 the game works well, but when I installed windows 10 the modacks doesn't work anymore.
Please help me to fix this problem, thank you.