New here? Welcome to planet Tekkit!

Curunir

No, the power armour, which is really called a Modular Powersuit (MPS), cannot be enchanted. I just listed the things you can do without a Powersuit, when you just have access to regular Diamond Armour.

I'm pretty sure you can enchant the Modular Power Armor. I know I have done it, and that was on a multiplayer server on which I was not oped or anything like that. I used the Auto-Anvil to apply an enchanted book tho, and I'm not sure that the enchants actually worked, but they were applied to the item.

Will do some testing when I get home. Unless I foreget.

Edited by Kezr

Hm. If you can, then maybe the effects will stack with what the Powersuit does. Would be nice if somebody could look into this, as I am not using a Powersuit right now.

Right, I have done some testing:

None of the Power Armor parts, including the fist, can be enchanted directly.

They can, however, have enchants applied to them via anvil.

It is completely useless to do so, because as soon as you equip the enchanted item, the enchant goes away.

So my recommendation stands. Until you find yourself able to craft a Powersuit with all bells and whistles, thoroughly enchanted Diamond Armour parts are recommended. Use MFR machines to enchant tons of books, and take your pick.

So my recommendation stands. Until you find yourself able to craft a Powersuit with all bells and whistles, thoroughly enchanted Diamond Armour parts are recommended. Use MFR machines to enchant tons of books, and take your pick.

I see some inconsistency here (no offence).

With my personal style of gaming, when I can afford the Mob Essence and MFR machines with all peripherals, I already can afford a simple Powersuit with basic addons. So I'm sticking with Iron Armor and then a basic Powersuit (diamond plating, jump boost and walk/sprint boost).

Styles differ, and if you follow the progression I lined out here, you will have no issues farming copious amounts of Mob Essence, while it may be more difficult to gather all the resources for the Powersuit. The latter also is vastly more complicated to use, most notably with the overheating issues (and bugs therein). Since we have Simply Jetpacks now, I think it is prudent for new players to postpone that Powersuit and look into other things first.

I killed the Wither a few times now with enchanted gear and a Resonant Jetpack. It is a viable path.

Of course, nobody keeps you from favouring the Powersuit, maybe starting with a basic loadout. But I maintain that a basic Powersuit loses to enchanted Diamond plus Jetpack. The Powersuit needs to be nearly fully equipped to supersede that.

Ultimately, there is no right and wrong, just a lot of choices.

Wow. This needs to become a "Must Read If Beginner" because, and all honestly, this is a great guide. You were very detailed, very specific, yet you make it to where the reader must still look up stuff in-game. The way you have set up everything is user friendly so they can skip to different parts. You even leave in a few routes incase the reader does not want to do it specifically. I even learned a thing or two from this myself and ive played tekkit for about 6 months now (im a fast learner.... mostly). Overall this is the best starter guide anyone will ever find about Tekkit. Great job Curunir, coodoes to you. I look forward to hearing more from you oh wise one

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

"Hover over an item and press R to be shown the crafting recipe of any item that has one. You may notice that your inventory will be sorted everytime you do this. Unfortunately, the default sort key is also R, so you may want to reassign that one."

How do ya actually do this? I've looked in the Options - Controls screen a billion times & the sort thing stuck on the 'R' Key is never there, thus making it completely invincible against any attempt I wish I could do to get rid of the damn thing. :(

The inventory controls are reassigned in... inventory. Click the little "three-dot" icon in the top right corner.

Don't memorize that, though. In Minecraft 1.7, Mojang did a major overhaul of key bindings, putting them all in one central menu.

I should also have mentioned that there is another useful NEI key. While R shows you how to obtain an item, U will show you what it is used for. In regular NEI mode, which is active when you are not OP or switched to recipe mode, you can also simply click the left and right mouse buttons for these. In (default) cheat mode, clicking will give you a stack (left click) or a single item (right click) of whatever you are clicking at.

P.S.: It appears somebody pinned my thread. Guess I'll have to redo it when Tekkit 2 comes around.

Edited by Curunir

The inventory controls are reassigned in... inventory. Click the little "three-dot" icon in the top right corner.

Don't memorize that, though. In Minecraft 1.7, Mojang did a major overhaul of key bindings, putting them all in one central menu.

I should also have mentioned that there is another useful NEI key. While R shows you how to obtain an item, U will show you what it is used for. In regular NEI mode, which is active when you are not OP or switched to recipe mode, you can also simply click the left and right mouse buttons for these. In (default) cheat mode, clicking will give you a stack (left click) or a single item (right click) of whatever you are clicking at.

P.S.: It appears somebody pinned my thread. Guess I'll have to redo it when Tekkit 2 comes around.

It worked!!! That '3 dot button' is so small & insignificant lookin I never even thought of paying attention to it let alone clicking it before... it's so hard to even mind its existence! I can use 'r' in my search criteria in my NEI safely now! Thank you so much, you're my Hero! ^_^

Edit: When Quote Replying, why is it impossible to place my Post outside the Quoted Message...? O_0

It worked!!! That '3 dot button' is so small & insignificant lookin I never even thought of paying attention to it let alone clicking it before... it's so hard to even mind its existence! I can use 'r' in my search criteria in my NEI safely now! Thank you so much, you're my Hero! ^_^

Edit: When Quote Replying, why is it impossible to place my Post outside the Quoted Message...? O_0

Edit 2: Ahh, that better. :)

Edited by AxeGarian

It's a bit fiddly, but you can put your reply outside the quote. Click behind the quote box, or cut and paste the entire quote to where you want it. Should keep its formattings.

This also works when editing your post.

Ahh, it works! Many thanks again! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great help i will need to use some of them ideas especially the big reactor one as my combustion engines wont connect to the TE stuff :/ and i kinda made 12 combustions connected them together got fuel and everything then realised i cant connect them to TE energy cells or machines.

Oh wait now i cant use the Machinists work bench as when i open it, it shuts down my game :( so i cant do anything, i cant convert my energy and i cant create stuff with the machinists bench.

Edited by unknownerror

About the Machinists Workbench crashing the game: This is an unresolved bug that Skuli never fixed before he quit Tekkit. It is a recipe parsing bug that strangely only happens in singleplayer mode. You can fix it by updating the mod Simply Jetpacks to a patched version. Of course, if you make this update, you will technically be running a custom modpack, so only do this if you are strictly in singleplayer. You update by deleting the file

[...]modpackstekkitmainmodsSimplyJetpacks-0.1.4.jar

and replacing it with a version downloaded here. You need at least 0.1.4.1, but can opt to use up to 0.3.1.1 (the last that was compatible with Minecraft 1.6.4 and thus current Tekkit). The latter version comes with more jetpack variants for your pleasure, even some armoured ones.

About Combustion Engines not connecting to your RF network: Of course they won't. Combustion Engines are Buildcraft power devices and only produce MJ. An RF network can convert to MJ output for machines, but not take MJ input. You need to use Dynamos or Big Reactors, or the Atomic Science stuff.

Edited by Curunir

You sir are a wizard when it comes to this stuff thanks :)

Yeah im going to stick with single player, and where is the list of other mods as if im going to edit this one i might as well have a look at what else i can put into my single player world, and i heard that there is another mod that you can instal that allows you to connect the MJ and the RF together but i dont know what mod that is, do you know it?

I have heard about the RF/MJ conversion mod, but can't remember the name either. In any case, the place to find and discover mods is Minecraftforum.

You need to keep a few things in mind when customizing your Tekkit:

1. Your custom pack is not a Tekkit installation any more and will not receive any support on the tracker (possible exception if you just fixed the Simply Jetpacks issue to stop the crashes).
  2. You still need 1.6.4-based versions of mods for this pack, which may be getting scarce and/or hard to find.
  3. Minecraft 1.6.4 still had block ID conflicts, so adding mods that add placeable blocks may require tediously reassigning IDs by hand (Simply Jetpacks is not affected by this, some other mods will be).
  4. You will not be able to connect to any servers with your custom pack, unless the server receives the exact same modifications.
  5. Much of your work will be in vain once you decide to move to the 1.7.10 world. A shiny new 1.7.10-based Tekkit appears to be in the works, but will only be released after new Hexxit stabilizes.

That being said, have fun and good luck.

Edited by Curunir

what do you mean it wont receive any support from the tracker? whats that? (i sound like a noob with all these questions) 

So if the 1.6.4 versions are scares how can i update to a 1.7 then? or is there a way i can start making my own modpack, with ones i select, on a more up to date version if that will be easier as i know quite a few mods i wish to update. and server wise im not bothered the servers ive been on get reset or are laggy or just bad really so i prefer my own so i can customise and test stuff easier. i would miss my world that i have started but if its better and easier i will upgrade.

Thanks for all the support, this is really helping me understand,