Praise our efforts!

sct

• Forum Administrators

So the new forums are up and they are great. So great! Like whoa!

I mean how great are these forums guys? Tell us they are great. (They are.)

:pcgaming:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) No more customizeable blurb next to avatar? ("Status text" seems to do nothing.)

2) Way too much use of mouseovers and popups: Clunky and difficult on mobile devices and for disabled users with vision or dexterity limitations. Plus, the zooming and bouncing of the popups makes me slightly nauseous.

3) Related to #2, can't see what purpose each board serves without mousing over, and there is even a delay before the tooltip even pops up, so if you're quick, you don't even realize there is a tooltip at all.

• Forum Administrators

1) No more customizeable blurb next to avatar? ("Status text" seems to do nothing.)

Intentional

2) Way too much use of mouseovers and popups: Clunky and difficult on mobile devices and for disabled users with vision or dexterity limitations. Plus, the zooming and bouncing of the popups makes me slightly nauseous.

There will be a mobile version released soon as well to make this a pleasure on mobile devices. We will even support Tapatalk! I am confused by what disabled users and dexterity limitation have to do with any of that though? And if the small amount of popups and transitioning (for the quick reply, i assume) is making you nauseous maybe you shouldn't use a computer and go see a doctor. That seems pretty serious.

3) Related to #2, can't see what purpose each board serves without mousing over, and there is even a delay before the tooltip even pops up, so if you're quick, you don't even realize there is a tooltip at all.

Good. Every board is now a delicious surprise holding goodies and treats!

Now BACK TO THE PRAISE!

I love forums, but it doesn't have staff list and post ratings signs.

this is 100% on purpose. that kind of shit sucks. hard. staff list isn't really needed, all the staff are easy to identify, plus it says on the right when we're online. post ratings encourage shit posts like "vote me up if you think sparklefarts is the best11!1!!!1!"

I am confused by what disabled users and dexterity limitation have to do with any of that though?

Having to mouseover things is an excessive restriction and limitation for people who use screen readers (because screen readers utilize HTML features to determine context and present related information together, but all the Javascript indirection makes it impossible for the screen reader to figure out what goes with what, and that's even if the screen reader can pull out the text from the Javascript in the first place), and for people who have difficulty or inability using a mouse (severe arthritis, amputation, Parkinson's, etc.) but who are able to use a keyboard (some people have gloves with sticks on them that let them hunt-and-peck a key at a time and use tabbing to navigate websites, and others use tongue or voice control).

And that's even setting aside the fact that the previous site was perfectly usable with Javascript disabled, and this one is much less so (but so far, it seems there are at least workarounds for most things, so at least it's not unusable).

Praise? Well, the biggest praise I can give it is I like a watched-thread system much better than the new-replies-in-threads-in-which-I've-posted system. That is a massive improvement.

this is 100% on purpose. that kind of shit sucks. hard. staff list isn't really needed, all the staff are easy to identify, plus it says on the right when we're online. post ratings encourage shit posts like "vote me up if you think sparklefarts is the best11!1!!!1!"

vote me up if you think freakachus new avatar is totaly creepybro

Well I agree with first thing - its really not needed, but post ratings were working perfectly good in communities like spoutcraft forums, or on large minecraft multiplayer communities. (say name of one, where I play, they have xenforo for like 10 months)

Well I agree with first thing - its really not needed, but post ratings were working perfectly good in communities like spoutcraft forums, or on large minecraft multiplayer communities. (say name of one, where I play, they have xenforo for like 10 months)

I would contend that they don't actually work well there. at best they add little and at worst they create incentive for all kinds of spam. I totally get that it's what you're used to though, and that's fine. we just like being obtuse around here though.

Status text shows up on your "profile page" if you hadn't already noticed. There's an "activity feed" below that shows a history.

There will be a mobile version released soon as well to make this a pleasure on mobile devices. We will even support Tapatalk! I am confused by what disabled users and dexterity limitation have to do with any of that though?.

Yay, Tapatalk! (though we could have had that with SMF ;)

I miss being able to mark a whole forum section as read (Tekkit Servers, as an example).

otherwise *PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE*

Protip: Go into that forum, and hit the mark forums read button.

Right, I know I can do that. However, the "Tekkit Servers" part that I linked to is a group of 3 boards (Servers Deluxe, White List Servers, and Open Servers). In the time of forums past, I used to be able to go to the "unread posts" for Tekkit Servers and just mark everything there as read, instead of going into each of the forums. Same for the Yogbox, VoxelMod, Hack Slash Mine, and D Game Zone. Just a small feature that I will miss, as I tend to just scan the new posts link to try and find things of interest. The above forum groupings don't really interest me.