Launcher opens splash screen, then freezes

OldTiger

Question

Launcher Version: Just downloaded

Operating System: Win7 Ultimate SP1 64bit

Java Version: java 7 update 6 build 1.7.0_06-b24

Antivirus Program: Avast

Description of Problem:

The Technic Launcher splash screen comes up, then NOTHING. I can open and run Minecraft just fine

Error Messages:

None received

Error Log:

13 answers to this question

Have you rebooted since your brand-new Java install? Either that, or add Java to the system path variable manually. The launcher will probably not like running if it can't find Java.

Thanks for the reply Torezu :D

Yes, the first thing I do after ANY install is to reboot my PC so that's not it. Haven't tried the system path variable modification though... where would I look for that in Win7 ? And you're talking about the physical path to the Java.exe file, IE: C\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\Java.exe ?

Thanks for the reply Torezu :D

Yes, the first thing I do after ANY install is to reboot my PC so that's not it. Haven't tried the system path variable modification though... where would I look for that in Win7 ? And you're talking about the physical path to the Java.exe file, IE: C\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\Java.exe ?

Yeah, except the java.exe isn't in the path, you just add ";C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin" to the end of your path variable. It's in Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Environment Variables... Make sure you just add that to the path instead of replacing the whole path.

If that doesn't work, try the .jar version of the launcher instead.

I've tried both the .exe launcher, and direct to the .jar java executable with the same result. I'll try the environ variable trick, but I'm suspecting it's something in either the way the 64bit OS is running the mods, or a system permission setting somewhere deep in the bowels of Win7 that I've yet to learn about...

Man... I can't remember the last time I scripted a bat file! LOL

I'll try that and see if anything shows up (if I can remember the script that is! lol). I'm leaning more and more to a windows permission thing, and less of a Java vs. Windows thing, as the standard Minecraft runs just fine. I would think that if it had to do with Java running in Win7, then Minecraft would fail too...

i'm having the same problem, but on 32 bit JRE (and JDK [if that matters]) so its not exclusive

all my java stuff is messed up since java v7u5 came out, i needed to script a bat file to make mc run at all and i cant program mc to run with more ram anymore

its really weird.

P.S. the spash screen can't be closed and doesn't register as anything on my task manager page... it makes me mad that i cant play tekkit HELP

well... i fixed it... somehow

not sure what i did....

i just did what i always do when mc doesnt work, i go through the files (looking for fishy stuff), delete meta-inf, retry, retry as admin, re-download, restart run it using a script i created, and just about everything else until it worked.... soezzzerrm, im of no help now