Launch.bat Not Working

Hebrind

Question

Title: Launch.bat Not Working

Version: 3.1.2

Java Version: 7.6

Description of Problem:

launch.bat will not run the server. I've tried editing launch.bat in all kinds of ways, including the following:

java -Xmx1G -Xms512M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

java -Xmx1G -Xms1G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

java -Xmx2G -Xms1G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

None of the combinations above work, and always result in the same error messages being given to me in Command Prompt (See "error messages" section below).

Error Messages:

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Error:Could not create the Java Virtual Machine

Error: A Fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Press any key to continue...

Error Log:

I don't know what an Error Log is, or if it pertains to this particular case.

5 answers to this question

Hello!

I'm pretty new to Minecraft and all this stuff, so please go easy on the "Newbie"!

I have 4GB of RAM (the most a 32-bit system can take), and I've never heard of JDK or JRE - what do they do? What impact do they have on Minecraft?

I can get single-player Tekkit working, it's just the server that won't work. It seems that the Tekkit Server (launch.bat) doesn't like Java 6u31, but Minecraft in it's entirety doesn't like Java 7u6.

I'm so confused.

I have 4GB of RAM (the most a 32-bit system can take), and I've never heard of JDK or JRE - what do they do? What impact do they have on Minecraft?

If you want mercy you might need to start doing the research before posting - searching for 'JDK' in google would have netted you part of the answer, at least. In any case, JDK is for developers, but it includes the JRE. Unless you're going to program in Java you can stick to the JRE. Java 7 works fine for both client and server for me, this is the output of 'java -version':

java version "1.7.0_01"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_01-b08)

Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 21.1-b02, mixed mode)

You were asked how much free ram you have, by the way. Then follow this guideline:

So Xmx specifies the maximum size of the heap. it does not limit the amount of memory tekkit will use, only the heap which is one use for memory.

Xmx should be less than total free memory, AND if you are running 32bit java it should be less than 1.5G.

If you get stack overflow errors you should increase this value

Xms specifies the initial size of the heap, its not that important in this case, ideally keep it around what the server uses right after it starts up, 512M is plenty for me, this should never really need to be changed.