IMPORTANT MAC FIX - Solution

Vusmeree

I have a mac and have the problem where I can get into the login screen, however whenever I log in it creates a grey screen and crashes. So I looked into it and found the problem is with SpoutCraft. Currently SpoutCraft does not support Java 7. So If you want to fix this problem, you have 3 solutions: (1) downgrade to Java 6, (2) Change these files as stated here: http://wiki.spout.org/LWJGL , or (3) wait until SpoutCraft supports Java 7. Personally I have had no luck with options 1 or 2, but maybe it will help you. If you want to see where I got this information, here is the forum link: http://www.spout.org/threads/help-for-mac.6726/#post-89463 .

That may be the case. However, it may be the launcher that is causing the problems, in which case this would be beneficial. I posted this so that people would have some option in trying to fix the client. It may work and it may not but it is something.

Minecraft doesn't work with Java 7 on macs, period. What you CAN do, however, is make it run in Java 6 JRE (which should still be on the Mac).

Make a text file with the following in it:

#!/bin/bash

cd <wherever you have your technic launcher installed>

export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

java -jar technic-launcher.jar

save that as whateveryouwant.command, and then open up Terminal and type in

chmod +x <path to your whateveryouwant.command>.

That should make it a program you can just open to run the Technic Launcher and thus Minecraft.

more info is here, Diah's command might work better for you.

If you use other modpack launchers, this fix should work for them as well.

I was unable to make your code work, however I tried Diah's and it did work. Thanks for your help.

For those who are too lazy to click the link, here is what Diah said.

You can force the use of Java 6 just for the Technic Launcher, if you have it installed. I use the following script (saved as a .command file) to get it running:

#!/bin/zsh

cd "${0:h}"

export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

java -jar ./technic-launcher.jar

Paste the script into a plain text document (in Textedit, use shift-command-T to enter plain text mode) and save it with the extension ".command". Put it in the same folder as technic-launcher.jar. You need to mark it as executable first using Terminal:

chmod +x /path/to/script.command

Then you can double-click it to start the Launcher. So far, using Java 6 is the only solution that's worked for me.