Deleted all my files

Obesachu

Question

Launcher Version: 365

Operating System: Windows 8

Java Version: I'm not sure

Antivirus Program:

Description of Problem:

Sorry if this isn't in the right place, well I convinced my friend to play a modded minecraft with me.. I think she put the directory to her desktop or something.. and when trying to launch the mod was getting an error, so I told her to change the directory to the normal one or something... somehow it deleted everything on her desktop? >__< which includes all her school work and just wondering is there anyway to get it back lol.... it's not in her recycling bin.

Error Messages:

Error Log:

5 answers to this question

Thanks a lot man, I'll send that page to her and hopefully it works. If not I think she'll hate more forever lol

No problem. Next time something like that comes up, best to just google it. Faster too.

Question, those files didn't end up in the folder you moved everything to by chance, did they? If you put it back to the default directory, and you're on windows, that'd be in C:\Users\WhateverYourUserNameIs\AppData\Roaming\.technic\WhateverModpackYouWereUsing

Maybe whoever is currently updating the launcher should look at that, add a warning or something when you change directories, I can see that easily causing issues for some people...

You can also try Recuva:

Er.... Recuva is the first entry in the list I gave a link to. I gave a list because I've had times where some file recovery programs didn't find things that others did, etc.

Just a note: All these recovery programs will take at least a hour or more to do a complete scan of your hard drive.

Actually, you're half-wrong on that point. Depending on what tool you are using, exactly what happened to the deleted files, and how deeply they are buried, a quick scan can take something more on the order of seconds/a minute or two to find them. A deeper scan can take a while if a quicker scan doesn't work though.