.jar Freezes At Splash Screen

AstroSci

Question

Launcher Version: Unknown

Operating System: Windows 7, x64 Home Premium

Java Version: 7 update 7 (64 bit)

Antivirus Program: Norton 360 20.1.1.2

Description of Problem:

I downloaded the Technic Launcher.exe and tried to open it. It failed, saying that the updater had stopped working.

I read some forums and downloaded the .jar and tried it. I was able to open it, but it froze on the splash screen. Read more threads and uninstalled Norton, but that didn't help. The EXE didn't work with Norton uninstalled either.

So, the .jar freezes on the splash screen. What have I not tried?

Oh, and yes, I've looked at the common problems sticky.

Error Messages:

N/A

Error Log:

[10:39:00] [sEVERE]	------------------------------------------

[10:39:00] [sEVERE]	Launcher is starting....

[10:39:00] [sEVERE]	Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[10:39:00] [sEVERE]	Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[10:39:00] [sEVERE]	Java VM: '1.7.0_07-b11'

[10:39:00] [sEVERE]	OS Version: '6.1'

[10:39:00] [sEVERE]	Is 64-bit: 'true'

[10:39:06] [sEVERE]	[info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/mirrors.yml'.

[10:39:07] [sEVERE]	Exception in thread "main" 

[10:39:07] [sEVERE]	java.lang.NullPointerException

[10:39:07] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getAllModPackResources(ModPackListYML.java:186)

[10:39:07] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:363)

[10:39:07] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init>(LoginForm.java:133)

[10:39:07] [sEVERE]		at org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:194)

15 answers to this question

First check here:

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/common-problems-and-solutions.10851/

Most answers can be found there.

Troubleshoot:

Make sure your anti-virus and firewalls are disabled while trying to connect to minecraft.net (while logging in, connecting to a server)

Uninstall Java, then delete your .techniclauncher folder. Restart your computer (it's not required, but it never hurts to give it a break)

Reinstall the correct version of Java for your computer (ensure the bit type matches)

Redownload the Launcher.

Try to run the .exe, if this does not work, look in your .techniclauncher folder, make sure you have a .jar file in there.

If you do not, and the .exe doesn't work, do this:

I am getting a “Technic Launcher has Stopped Working Error”!

If your launcher is encountering this error, a solution is to download the .jar file from http://www.technicpack.net/download/ (pick the third from the left (Linux/Jar)). If you are using Internet Explorer you will also need to change the file extension (the ending of the file) to .jar instead of .zip. Once you’ve done that, all you need to do is double-click on the file to run the launcher.

If double click doesn't work with the .jar:

Right click on the .jar file, open with Java.

If none of those work, try running as administrator.

I tried all that. I ran it as administrator through command prompt (run cmd as administrator and use java -jar) but it still froze.

Here's the updated log file:

[11:46:09] [sEVERE]    ------------------------------------------

[11:46:09] [sEVERE]    Launcher is starting....

[11:46:09] [sEVERE]    Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[11:46:09] [sEVERE]    Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[11:46:09] [sEVERE]    Java VM: '1.7.0_07-b11'

[11:46:09] [sEVERE]    OS Version: '6.1'

[11:46:09] [sEVERE]    Is 64-bit: 'true'

[11:46:11] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/mirrors.yml'.

[11:46:11] [sEVERE]    Exception in thread "main"

[11:46:11] [sEVERE]    java.lang.NullPointerException

[11:46:12] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getAllModPackResources(ModPackListYML.java:186)

[11:46:12] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:363)

[11:46:12] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init>(LoginForm.java:133)

[11:46:12] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:194)

Your OS appears to be 64-bit, but your log file doesn't necessarily say that your Java version is. Double-check that, as well as confirming that you don't have multiple versions of Java installed. Then add an exception to Norton, or remove it if you reinstalled it and don't feel like you know how to add an exception, and try the .exe again. If that doesn't work, try the .jar again. Something in Java isn't working correctly.

Java is definitely 64 bit. Don't have any other versions of Java. Uninstalled Norton. And disabled Windows Firewall temporarily. Jar still froze, EXE still crashed.

Have you completely removed the .techniclauncher and .minecraft folders, and made sure to clear out any other versions of the launcher you may have anywhere (don't ask) before attempting to reinstall?

Yes. I don't see how clearing out .minecraft will help, but I did do that. And it still hasn't helped.

It occasionally helps because some mods like to store things there, and will screw up if you leave them and try to reinstall.

One more thing to try: Clean out all Java versions, reboot your computer, and reinstall the newest 64-bit version of Java 7 (u7, I think). If you don't reboot between installs, your system sometimes fails to empty the garbage can, so to speak, and the multiple versions of Java get confusificated.

Then check your system path variable to make sure Java is in there correctly (i.e. it points to the right folder).

Check, check, and check. Still freezes. EXE still crashes.

[17:49:17] [sEVERE]    ------------------------------------------

[17:49:17] [sEVERE]    Launcher is starting....

[17:49:17] [sEVERE]    Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[17:49:17] [sEVERE]    Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[17:49:17] [sEVERE]    Java VM: '1.7.0_07-b11'

[17:49:17] [sEVERE]    OS Version: '6.1'

[17:49:17] [sEVERE]    Is 64-bit: 'true'

[17:49:19] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/mirrors.yml'.

[17:49:19] [sEVERE]    Exception in thread "main"

[17:49:19] [sEVERE]    java.lang.NullPointerException

[17:49:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getAllModPackResources(ModPackListYML.java:186)

[17:49:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:363)

[17:49:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init>(LoginForm.java:133)

[17:49:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:194)

Repaired .NET framework, but it didn't help any.

[19:38:19] [sEVERE]    ------------------------------------------

[19:38:19] [sEVERE]    Launcher is starting....

[19:38:19] [sEVERE]    Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[19:38:19] [sEVERE]    Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[19:38:19] [sEVERE]    Java VM: '1.7.0_07-b11'

[19:38:19] [sEVERE]    OS Version: '6.1'

[19:38:19] [sEVERE]    Is 64-bit: 'true'

[19:38:21] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'https://raw.github.com/TechnicPack/Technic/master/mirrors.yml'.

[19:38:21] [sEVERE]    Exception in thread "main"

[19:38:21] [sEVERE]    java.lang.NullPointerException

[19:38:21] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getAllModPackResources(ModPackListYML.java:186)

[19:38:21] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:363)

[19:38:21] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init>(LoginForm.java:133)

[19:38:21] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:194)

So...uninstall .NET and reinstall it?

I would suggest trying that, since all the standard options seem to have failed at this point.

Is there anything else that could be blocking part of your internet connection? Hardware firewall, ISP issues, anything?