How to get a small number of quality players for my server?

I'm looking for a bit of advice as a new server operator. I created a server for myself and a friend, and would like to find a few people to share it with. I'm hoping to find like 5-10 people who would join, but I'm not sure of the best way to find a very small number of people and screen them so that I would get the type of player I'm looking for (non-trolls, basically, or people who will log on and start begging for things). I know there are forums where a server can be advertised, but I'm hesitant to do that without having some way of to be confident I'm not inviting a complete troll to the server.

Just wondering if anyone has advice on how to go about this. And, any warnings or things to avoid when recruiting people?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

Whitelist it, and create a short list of interview questions that will perhaps screen people out. If its a custom server, put it here: http://forums.technicpack.net/forum/63-platform-a-custom-server-zone/

And do frequent backups. You never really know what kind of players you get until they play.