some questions about the java initialization of vm error

i bought a new computer downloaded java 32 bit update and the computer has 2 4GB sticks of ram now the default setting in the launch.exe is java -Xmx3G -Xms2G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui and that gave me the vm initialization error trying to search for a solution i found out i should try to tone it down so it was kind of trial and error loweringthe numbers till i got to java -Xmx1G -Xms500M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui and it worked the thing is my old computer had 2 2GB sticks of ram and it was 64bit my question is what is the reasoning behind all of this? i dont really know this code so im just kind of working in the dark but i would like to know why did i need to go lower with 8gb than when i had 4gb also how does this affect me? and if possible how can i increase it?

1) Try to avoid the Wall of Text. It's hard to read and understand.

2) Why would you buy a new computer that only has a 32-bit OS instead of upgrading the old one with more memory?

3) A 32-bit OS can handle up to 3.5GB (or so) of RAM total, with all programs running. It's pointless to have 8GB with a 32-bit OS because it can never use more than 4.