Could not create the Java virtual machine

This is...not a hard drive free space problem. You certainly don't have 278GB of RAM...or at least, it's extremely unlikely. Push Windows-Pause/Break and see how much Installed Memory you have. If you're using a significant portion of it for something other than the server, there won't be enough left to run the server, and that means you probably shouldn't be running the server on this computer, and you certainly shouldn't be trying to run both the server and the client on this computer.

well i dont know how much ram i have, i just looked under computer and thats what i found. i looked at my task manager and found two prosses, both called javaw. one is using 10,048K and the other is using 14,260K. Are these enough to stop my server? And I dont even know what those prosses even are. Im not running anything java. If it is too much is there any way I can get more java ram?

There isn't a good reason you should be running two java processes if you don't have anything that you can see running, though it doesn't seem like they're using much memory. The key combination is [Windows Key]-[Pause/Break], or go to System in your Control Panel. Another way to find the same thing is to look under the Physical Memory section of the Performance tab in your Task Manager. The amount of RAM you have and the amount you're not currently using will be under Total and Available on the left-hand side.

Wait...you said usable, not available. Usable is just how much the OS can actually use. How much do you have available (from the Performance tab in Task Manager)? I should ask for a bug report anyway, but I'm really not sure you could fill one out accurately, given the posts so far. No offense.

Okay. That's...not enough to run both a server and client. It's barely enough to run a server by itself adequately for more than 2-3 people, while allowing for Java garbage collection. My advice? Add RAM, and until you do, run the client only and let someone else run the server.

• 2 months later...

I'm setting up a Tekkit server and when I start the launch, it says Could not create the Java virtual machine. I put xmx1G and xms512M on the launch.bat, like some guide I found told me to and still get the error. My computer has 206G free of 278G on my computer.

Well try this: java -Xmx1G -Xms512M -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

Copy it and paste it into the Startup.bat (Replace the current typing)

It is because you need the X, X and G and M in caps!