[Linux Bug] Linux Optirun & Technic Launcher problem

dreadslicer

Question

Hello all! My laptop has hybrid graphics (Intel 3000 primary, Nvidia 525GT Secondary).

There is a program called bumblebee which fixes this and gives the users a command called 'optirun' to render off of the Nvidia graphics instead of the intel graphics for opengl applications.

My command:

optirun java -Xmx3072M -classpath technic-launcher-latest.jar org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main

Whenever I try to use the technic launcher combined with the optirun commands, it restarts and just uses the normal java command.

logged line from console:

Jun 15, 2012 1:46:04 PM org.spoutcraft.launcher.Util log

WARNING: Rebooting with [java, -Xmx3072m, -classpath, /home/dread/Desktop/technic-launcher-latest.jar, org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main]

Without Optirun, I can only run minecraft with super laggy graphics from intel.

OS/Version, ect.

Launcher/pack Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Kubuntu

Version of Java: openjdk-6-JRE

Description of Problem: "Launcher restarts upon use of Hybrid Graphics wrapper 'optirun'"

Antivirus program: NONE

Error Messages:

WARNING: Rebooting with [java, -Xmx3072m, -classpath, /home/dread/Desktop/technic-launcher-latest.jar, org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main]

Link to pastebin of log:

14 answers to this question

Wouldnt it just be easier to disable the intel onboard graphics in your BIOS and configure your system for use with 1 graphics card, your Nvidia one?

No. In nvidia optimus notebooks it's impossible (ingrated gpu is physicaly connected to the display and acting as pass-through when using external gpu) I'm fighting with the same problem and so far no solution :(

No. In nvidia optimus notebooks it's impossible (ingrated gpu is physicaly connected to the display and acting as pass-through when using external gpu) I'm fighting with the same problem and so far no solution :(

Jasin is right, there is no option. The laptop's screen is connected to the integrated GPU.

The only thing I can see is to optirun the console(?) then from that one, optirun the java game... (?)

I tried to virtualbox it and only got a white screen... and a loading screen for minecraft that never loaded within the hour. (not sure if guest additions installed correctly)

Think what the dev's need to do is to determine (If under linux, check for optirun, if optirun, then do not restart. Else, restart upon manual java command)

Or we, as normal users need to find a way to make the optirun stick like superglue.

I guess we could try:

optirun sudo java [...]

or

optirun padsp java [...] (sound module)

or

optirun xterm

java [...]

not in linux right now, so I can't try it...

I really how no clue at all, what do try next. I even tried bumblebee gui and forced java to use optirun. Result:

org.spoutcraft.launcher.Util log

Hey there! I'm one of the main bumblebee devs (nice to meet you) and happen to use minecraft/technic myself...

To correctly use technic with bumblebee, the easiest way is this:

optirun bash

java -jar path/to/techniclauncher.jar

Keep the window open while playing, then when done type "exit" to shut down your nvidia card. It's a little crappy for now, but it works... Things should get better when optimus support is in the mainline kernel (a few more months, if we're lucky!)

I found a way! apparently, according to their open-source code:

GITHub

the 'rtemp' file under the .techniclauncher folder is generated right before the restart so it doesn't reoccur. So a bash is indeed possible to generate a blank 'rtemp' and start the launcher.

so...

quick bash (or sh) file... (Tested and works!!!)

echo -n "" > ~/.techniclauncher/rtemp

# location of jar...

cd ~/Desktop/

optirun java -Xmx3g -jar technic-launcher-latest.jar