hoboX10

Question

Launcher Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional

Java Version: Java 7 Update 5 64 bit

Antivirus Program: Microsoft Security Essentials - Completed disabled it

Description of Problem:

I'm actually posting this thread for a friend. Here's how it goes:

He downloaded the technic launcher, ran it, and it opens the splash screen and just sits on it. That's it, nothing happens afterwards. It's creating the .techniclauncher folder with the bare minimum, whatever is included inside the exe itself.

The problem seems to be it won't connect to whatever server is responsible for handling the download of the actual launcher. Like it's not seeing the internet connection.

Trying to fix the problem myself, I just sent him my entire .techniclauncher folder since it already has the all the necessary files to run the launcher. It worked and opened the launcher, but selecting which type of mod pack he wanted would only create the empty directory of it. (If he picked tekkit for example, the mods folder was empty as it wasn't downloading all the components) same for all the others.

Besides that, it wouldn't let him log in either. It gives the message "Unable to authenticate account with minecraft.net" because the program doesn't see a connection to the internet for some reason. He can log in perfectly fine with the official minecraft client and on the website too.

Even disabled Windows Firewall completely too.

Tried with Java 6 Update 33, 32 bit then 64 bit in case it was a Java 7 issue. Didn't help.

Then tried Java 7 Update 5 32 bit, didn't work. 64 bit next, still won't work.

Tried redownloading the techniclauncher.exe again.

I really can't figure out what could possibly be preventing this from working. Me personally and my other friend had zero issues getting it to work, and there's nothing different or special about my other friend's computer that can't get this to work properly.

Error Messages:

N/A

Error Log:

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] ------------------------------------------

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] Launcher is starting....

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] Java VM: '1.7.0_05-b05'

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] OS Version: '6.1'

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] Is 64-bit: 'true'

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] java.lang.NullPointerException

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MirrorUtils.getMirrorUrl(MirrorUtils.java:30)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MirrorUtils.getMirrorUrl(MirrorUtils.java:76)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MD5Utils.updateMD5Cache(MD5Utils.java:71)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:360)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init>(LoginForm.java:133)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:194)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] All mirrors failed, reverting to default

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MirrorUtils.getMirrorUrl(MirrorUtils.java:30)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MirrorUtils.getMirrorUrl(MirrorUtils.java:76)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.YmlUtils.downloadYmlFile(YmlUtils.java:45)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.YmlUtils.downloadRelativeYmlFile(YmlUtils.java:24)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.updateModPacksYMLCache(ModPackListYML.java:82)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getConfig(ModPackListYML.java:72)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getModPacks(ModPackListYML.java:108)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.<clinit>(ModPackListYML.java:60)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:361)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.<init>(LoginForm.java:133)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] All mirrors failed, reverting to default

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] Exception in thread "main"

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.modpacks.ModPackListYML.getAllModPackResources(ModPackListYML.java:186)

[17:03:05] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm.loadLauncherData(LoginForm.java:363)

7 answers to this question

When was this? The minecraft.net auth servers have been down off and on for the last couple of days.

Solutions for when that connection works again:

- Make sure you have Java 7u5 64-bit, and only that.

- Download the Linux/.jar version of the launcher.

- Right-click on that and click "Run with Java"

- Report any errors.

This happened yesterday, and is still happening today.

Only Java 7 Update 5 64-bit is installed.

Downloaded and ran the Linux jar by right-clicking it and picking Run with Java Platform SE Binary. Nothing happened. Made a .bat file to run it instead. ("C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -jar "technic-launcher-latest.jar") and it opened the splash screen and sat on it, the exact same result of running the exe file. It generated the exact same log as I pasted in the first post too.

I'd like to point out that I've seen other threads with seemingly the exact same problem pop up today and yesterday too. That doesn't seem like a coincidence to me. There was even a video I found on youtube of a guy showing how tekkit only sits on the splash screen when he runs it and he was asking for help. (Oddly enough it was uploaded just yesterday)

Tried completely removing MSE and then enabled Windows Firewall, made exceptions for anything java and techniclauncher to be granted total access, didn't work, disabled it again, still doesn't work.

I think that was my last glimmer of hope, I have no idea what to try now.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that his router may be blocking the traffic. Like you say, it seems like he's unable to connect to the server for updates/login.

It could be worth trying simple things like resetting it. Checking to see if there's anything set in there that maybe filtering traffic.

Has he been able to play before and has just encountered the problem? Or has it always been like this?

If he doesn't have a router and is connecting straight through a cable or dsl modem then you could try doing an ipconfig /flushdns from a command prompt incase he's having problems with his dns server not resolving the address.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, and I'm no expert so hopefully there are others who can help.

Yeah I was thinking it might be something like that too, but it wouldn't explain why so many people have the exact same issue. Unless maybe there's something wrong with a specific type or brand of router. Lol, but that is really pushing it...

Scratch that actually because he has a netbook that he tested it with. It worked perfectly, but the netbook can't even run Minecraft, it was just to test if it would work.

i have the same problem, using technic launcher v. 1.0.1.3, build 3.1.2, (the reccomended) it used to work just fine, then it suddenly said cant connect to minecraft.net, then i reinstalled the launcher and it said it cant fine my account! HELP!

EDIT: Has anyone found a solution?

EDIT: My problem looks like a different one, as i cannot use the official client either. I will leave this thread and never return

Tried completely removing MSE and then enabled Windows Firewall, made exceptions for anything java and techniclauncher to be granted total access, didn't work, disabled it again, still doesn't work.

I think that was my last glimmer of hope, I have no idea what to try now.

Disabling McAfee didnt help me at all... nor did windows firewall, the last thing i can think of is going into my router's settings and seeing if something else is taking up the port, or if there is even a port rule... but i dont know the port technic pack uses. Help?