Help me update my server?

I currently have a 3.0.4 Tekkit server that has stopped working... I want to update my server to 3.1.2, as I think I accidentally updated my client... I don't want to lose my whole world, and was wondering if everything I had in my inventory will remain... Thanks in advance for any help...

That depends almost entirely on how complex your server install is. If you just dropped the base Tekkit server into the folder and ran it, all you should really need to do is make a backup (of the entire server folder), delete all the mod and config files, drop the new server files in, and run it. Make sure you don't overwrite server.properties, and that your new world folder matches the old one for name, and you should be good to go. You'll need to make sure your client will let you log in, of course, but that's another topic.

I would just delete the whole thing, and move stuff back over when you're done, if you're not sure what should be left. You made that full backup, right? The stuff to move back over would be server.properties, the player.dat files, and the files in the data folder for alchemy bags and trans tables.

Ok, whenever I turn on the server, it says

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\Tekkit Server Attempt>java -Xmx3G -Xmx2G

-jar Tekkit.jar nogui

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Desktop\Tekkit Server Attempt>pause

Press any key to continue . . . _

Any ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Figured it out, thanks for all the help!