Cant Launch Tekkit (Tried everything)

JohnJohn1983

Question

Launcher Version: Latest (Cant find out launcher version)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Java Version: jre 7 u7

Antivirus Program: Norton

Description of Problem:

Downloaded launcher, got same issue I did with vista 64bit. On a new pc and the launcher just says checking launcher version. I tried running the jar like I did with my vista but the black command box flashes on screen and nothing happens. Tried to do "open with" and pick java manually but it does the same thing. Ive downloaded launcher and java 3 times. I have looked all over this site and found loads of people with the same issue but none of those would fix my issue.

(couldnt find out the launcher version, on this site it just says techniclauncher.exe and nothing about the version so sorry about that)

Error Messages:

No Error messages

Error Log:

No logs

11 answers to this question

A black command prompt flashing on screen is usually a sign that the launcher can't find Java, regardless of whether it lets you try to run it with Java or not. Try adding the Java bin directory to your system path variable, like so: Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables... > Click on Path and then Edit... > add exactly this to the end of the Variable value (without the quotes): ";C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin"

The Variable value in path had something to do with windows live, nothing on java. Pasted what you said in their but still does the same thing. Im not sure if when I changed the default programe to open the jar. as Its on the main java jar file I can find. If thats wrong what icon within java do I use to select to launch the technic jar file.

Yup the bin folder is there, I even tried manually selecting the java file in the bin folder to open technic but i accidently set it so default. So I hope thats the right file to launch from. Done restart and still same thing. Its gotta be something to do with the "Open with" when right clicking. Ive changed the default when it wasnt working at 1st so I hope its not that.

Try creating and running a batch file using Java to run the launcher then, like so:

1) Open Notepad or any other basic text editor.

2) Type the following two lines:

java -jar technic-launcher.jar

pause

3) Save that as a batch file (launcher.bat, for example) in the same folder as the launcher .jar

4) Double-click it in Windows Explorer and see what happens.

THe same black command box flashes. Something tells me it is what I done earlier. I forgot to untick the box when choosing to open the jar with manually selecting java so its set it as default to launch all jar files the same way which might be the wrong way. What file withing jar should it be trying to launch from? At the mo its the Java file in the bin folder that I selected.