Fix for the technic server sending .zip files to IE users?

DRY411S

Question

Launcher Version: Linux/Jar

Operating System: Windows

Java Version: N/A

Antivirus Program: N/A

Description of Problem:

Mods please move this topic if isn't in the right place, I could not find another suitable place.

This site downloads the latest .jar file to Windows Internet Explorer users as a .zip file. This is causing confusion on these forums, especially as downloading the .jar file is being suggested as a workaround for Windows users for whom the Launcher .exe does not work.

I suggest that adding the following 2 lines to the top of the Technic web server .htaccess file which hosts these forums will get rid of this problem.

Order deny,allow

AddType application/java-archive jar

Error Messages:

None

Error Log:

None

7 answers to this question

I don't believe it is an IE issue, which I hope I have demonstrated by providing a link to a jar file on another site which works with IE, an comparing it with the link to the jar file on this site, which does not. You can see that post at:

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/exe-launcher-has-stopped-working-fix.26930/page-2#post-215119

Fair enough, I have no experience with this so you could be correct.

Probably against the rules but...

*BUMP*

Would really like a site admin to give this a try. 30 seconds work, would resolve a lot of problems for IE users being asked to download the .jar when the .exe doesn't work for them.

You are correct that is against the rules.