Launcher wont run and cant execute jar file

Braknov

Question

Launcher Version: 7.2 i think, downloaded it today

Operating System: Windows 7 running 64 bit

Java Version: 7u9 both 32bit and 64 bit

Antivirus Program: Avast but turned it off

Description of Problem:

Ok so this be a bit weird. I downloaded and tried to run the exe launcher, resulting in "Technic Launcher Updater has stopped working." As such I tried to use Jorcer's suggestion and downloaded the jar file. The problem here is that it wont execute. I updated my java and even tried to manual set the jar file to open with the javaw and java apps from my java folder.

I then randomly re-downloaded the exe launcher and when running it it gave a very different error message as seen below.

Error Messages:

Cannot Load: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming\logs

after hitting "ok" the following pops up

Requested registry access is not allowed.

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)

at TechnicLauncher.Program.GetJavaFileAssociationPath()

at TechnicLauncher.Program.LogBasicSystemInfo(TextWriter log)

at TechnicLauncher.Program.Main()

Error Log:

No log files have been generated besides launcher_init

8 answers to this question

Yeah but no dice.

Edit: Ok so I tried to run it via command prompt which at first didn't work due to the launcher jar being in my user folder and my folder contains a space which command prompt doesnt like. Upon moving it to my c drive I could execute it via command prompt (java -jar C:\techniclauncherlatest) and it worked! I still dont know why I cant run it by double clicking but I guess I can just make a batch file to do the command prompt stuff for me in the future.

Yeah but no dice.

Edit: Ok so I tried to run it via command prompt which at first didn't work due to the launcher jar being in my user folder and my folder contains a space which command prompt doesnt like. Upon moving it to my c drive I could execute it via command prompt (java -jar C:\techniclauncherlatest) and it worked! I still dont know why I cant run it by double clicking but I guess I can just make a batch file to do the command prompt stuff for me in the future.

Really glad you figured it out (I would have never thought of doing what you did :)) Have fun!

I have the exact same problem except that when I try to put my .jar file of the technic launcher into the c drive and then run it through command prompt, it does NOT work for me. :/

Then post your own bug report. Coming in here saying "Me too" is useless. Especially because the issue has already been resolved.