"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

ok, what is the folder path you guys are followin to put the minecraft download into? i am running windows 7 and im not very good with doin this kind of stuff

go on your start menu, and in the start menu type in %appdata%, then click enter. You will be brought to your roaming folder. Find .techniclauncher, then go into cache and put in the minecraft_1.2.5.

minec

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

minecraft is at 1.4.2 not 1.2.5

and still doing what you said with the 1.4.2 jar doesn't work

just because you cannot follow directions does not mean they don't work. nor does it mean you should report posts with completely legit solutions to issues or reasonable suggestions of next steps because you are apparently butt hurt.

just because you cannot follow directions does not mean they don't work. nor does it mean you should report posts with completely legit solutions to issues or reasonable suggestions of next steps because you are apparently butt hurt.

a fix that doesn't work has nothing to do with not following instructions did you just completely ignore the 15 pages of other people saying it didn't work

a fix that doesn't work has nothing to do with not following instructions did you just completely ignore the 15 pages of other people saying it didn't work

did you ignore the people who posted about it working? or the ones who claimed it didn't, then got personal help via skype and suddenly it works now?

also java files can't be renamed

jar files can, you're just an idiot.

i put 1.2.5 in the cache folder still update failed don't you think it would of worked with 1.4.2 since 1.4.2 has 1.2.5 and 1.3 IN IT

the technic launcher needs to be updated for 1.4.2 minecraft these problems started soon after when that was launched on minecraft you could call it a coincidence or admit the fact technic launcher needs to be updated it's like trying to install windows 7 onto a 15 year old computer it doesn't work

did you ignore the people who posted about it working? or the ones who claimed it didn't, then got personal help via skype and suddenly it works now?

jar files can, you're just an idiot.

tell that to the "this is a java file and can not be renamed" error message because telling it to me isn't going to make it happen

i put 1.2.5 in the cache folder still update failed don't you think it would of worked with 1.4.2 since 1.4.2 has 1.2.5 and 1.3 IN IT

no it doesn't. again, you're an idiot and don't understand programs, programming, java, or computers apparently.

the technic launcher needs to be updated for 1.4.2 minecraft these problems started soon after when that was launched on minecraft you could call it a coincidence or admit the fact technic launcher needs to be updated it's like trying to install windows 7 onto a 15 year old computer it doesn't work

indeed, 1.4 releasing is the root cause for this issue. the launcher will be updated in the near future to handle that I'm sure.

by the way, the reason 1.2.5 is needed is that technic and tekkit run on 1.2.5, not 1.3.2 or 4.1.2. if you knew what an MD5 hash was, you'd understand why this is so.

edit: your ineptitude is not my problem. if you can't even rename a jar file correctly, you have more serious problems than a malfunctioning technic launcher.

no it doesn't. again, you're an idiot and don't understand programs, programming, java, or computers apparently.

indeed, 1.4 releasing is the root cause for this issue. the launcher will be updated in the near future to handle that I'm sure.

by the way, the reason 1.2.5 is needed is that technic and tekkit run on 1.2.5, not 1.3.2 or 4.1.2. if you knew what an MD5 hash was, you'd understand why this is so.

edit: your ineptitude is not my problem. if you can't even rename a jar file correctly, you have more serious problems than a malfunctioning technic launcher.

OH NO SCARY THINGS LIKE "MD5" you still do not work for java they are the people who decided to not allow their file to be renamed and yet here you are having a go at me for just relaying what THEIR message has told me about it not being renamed and if you want to call people a ignore then you should make sure your whole sentence has been spell checked and grammar checked before posting reply so you continue to troll like you do saying about the 10% of people this thread worked for and keep ignoring the rest of them

the 1.2.5 launcher is trying to download minecraft jar which has been updated to 1.4.2 which isn't compatible with this technic launcher the real bug is the people who are actualy still able to log in your advice is like trying to fit a triangle in a circle hole

now it's stuck at 8% download failed do you want to know what made it worse........ puting wrong files into the wrong folders which this thread is all about i followed the instructions and it just made it worse

a update for tekkit has suddenly appeared after the 20th time of loging in and 4 times of downloading new launchers and giving this failed attempt at a fix thread a try

a tekkit update comes AND OH LOOK IT WORKS

seems to me you are the idiot

freakachu since after me saying to you technic launcher needs a update..... maybe you told someone to update? maybe a coincidence the update dudes finished it at the same time as me posting but what ever the case

i said it needed a update, update for tekkit comes, update fixes the update filed error NOW I AM OFF TO SEE THE WIZARD bye

let's take this massive pile of stupid one piece at a time, shall we?

firstly, enjoy your vacation. I hope you don't actually return.

moving on,

OH NO SCARY THINGS LIKE "MD5" you still do not work for java they are the people who decided to not allow their file to be renamed and yet here you are having a go at me for just relaying what THEIR message has told me about it not being renamed and if you want to call people a ignore then you should make sure your whole sentence has been spell checked and grammar checked before posting reply so you continue to troll like you do saying about the 10% of people this thread worked for and keep ignoring the rest of them

I never said I "worked for java", which doesn't even make any sense anyway, because java is simply a language and the company that makes the VM is oracle. I don't work for oracle either. error messages that you get when doing god knows what are not my problem, again.

make sure my posts are spell and grammar checked? speak for yourself there, captain run-on sentence. far more help than is even warranted has been provided in this thread to people who have never learned to computer enough to rename files or use a real browser, or both.

the 1.2.5 launcher is trying to download minecraft jar which has been updated to 1.4.2 which isn't compatible with this technic launcher the real bug is the people who are actualy still able to log in your advice is like trying to fit a triangle in a circle hole

now it's stuck at 8% download failed do you want to know what made it worse........ puting wrong files into the wrong folders which this thread is all about i followed the instructions and it just made it worse

no, you failed to follow the instructions and you may even have more than one issue, which would not surprise me based on your rantings here. however, yes it's a workaround. it's not a super pretty one either, but it works and if it gets people back into the game, that is a good thing.

as for your follow up post, yeah, I totally saw your post and was like, "shit, he's on to us! publish that fix we've been sitting on for days! one guy on the internet found us out, THE JIG IS UP!" that's totally what happened. good job.

this is a pain they need to fix this

Agreed, i found out that technic has thaumbcraft, which i wanted to play after watching a bit of direwolf20's lets play season 4, and wanted to see what the mod is all about. I had tekkit working yesterday, but it stopped working when i tried to do technic. Now tekkit doesn't even launch.

this is a pain they need to fix this

Hey, i got it working. I'm not sure how exactly, but keep trying! I tried to clear cache (I was getting an error about it before) to submit a bug report, and it let me clear the cache. After that, i tried doing what this thread suggested, and it worked. Good luck trying to get it to work! :)

Thanks for the fix, really is a simple process to follow. I would say though that this has only solved the, 'update failed' problem for the tekkit portion of the launcher. I still get the error for the voxel pack, yogbox and hack/mine....

I am not the most savvy user and it is probably an elementary error but would love some help all the same.