Requesting help to connect a server at university

Djouwl

Obs: Before any flaming user start saying "do your job/work/exercises instead of playing ", the computers isn't located at classroom, and I am "off-duty" when accessing".

All right, I am in a ubuntu 12.10 (I understand that makes things harder, but all the other computers use Ubuntu, so to decrease chances of detection, I put ubuntu too, but more updated, since the school's one is 11.04) accessing from my own hard drive (a pen drive with huge capacity), so root access and administration to edit files and connections aren't a problem. The connection here obviously have proxy blocks, firewalls and that kind of stuff to games, social networks, etc.

Changing the proxy and later using a VPS connection from SecurityKISS (OpenVPS) solved any kind of trouble while using the browser. Minecraft is updated (1.4.2) and running smoothly but I am only able to play in single player mode, since in multiplayer all servers appear with the error " Can't reach server " , which I am sure is the block's action.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

See ya

this answer is going to be kinda vague, but it sounds like you have the ability to google the blanks here.

depending on how the block is being set up, you can use command line arguments to tell java to proxy all of its network traffic and avoid it. at least, assuming it's port based.

I don't know the exact command line args. something like -Dhttp-proxy or something similar. the trick is making it stick. the launcher reboots itself on launch by default for whatever reason. it order to stop this it needs a folder called "rtemp" in the same directory as your technic launcher jar file. the directory is deleted each time so you're gonna want to set up a shell script to do this.

I will give that "spotflux" a try. If it does'nt make any effect, i will try recoding that java way of connecgtion thing... maybe changing to a proxy will work good... Thanks for the attention folks

edit: Spotflux does not work with linux, only windows... And I've been searching around that even windows users that changed the way java connects, could not make MC do that way. Other suggestions appreciated....

I did some looking because apparently you aren't actually google capable and it interested me. what you're looking to do is proxy all your java traffic to get around a firewall. to this end you will need a SOCKS proxy if you want to play minecraft multiplayer. if you are just looking for some single player action, an HTTP proxy will suffice to download the mods through. take a look at this article:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/proxies.html

specifically, the part on SOCKS proxies. that is what you need, combined with the whole rtemp directory thing I mentioned earlier. however in order to use a SOCKS proxy, you first need to have one to point to. can't help you there, but I'm sure there's a ton out there.

Like I said earlier, changing java setting does'nt work at all. It's like MC avoid the usage of proxy connection, also with SOCKS. I tried this method already.... The only difference is that I use OpenJDK 7, and changed the net.properties placing some server from a public socks list i found around....

Like I said earlier, changing java setting does'nt work at all. It's like MC avoid the usage of proxy connection, also with SOCKS. I tried this method already.... The only difference is that I use OpenJDK 7, and changed the net.properties placing some server from a public socks list i found around....

it's also possible that proxies on standard ports are also blocked by your firewall. however, if you're using the launcher to do this, are you making sure to use the rtemp directory trick? because if not, it would certainly explain why the settings don't appear to work.

the trick is making it stick. the launcher reboots itself on launch by default for whatever reason. it order to stop this it needs a folder called "rtemp" in the same directory as your technic launcher jar file. the directory is deleted each time so you're gonna want to set up a shell script to do this.

Which minecraft.jar (or techniclauncher.jar) should I put this folder within ? The one that opens the game (linux uses another .jar, while windows is .exe) or the one which is on the " .minecraft/bin" directory ? Well, I have made this folder in both, didn't worked out too...

Btw, it is just to make the folder? nothing inside it ? (btw don't know how to make shell scripts, but since i plan to play few times, re-making the folder isn't a so-bad thing

rtemp needs to be in the same place as the techniclauncher.jar. it doesn't need anything in it (in fact it should have nothing in it).

you shouldn't ever have to worry about the .minecraft folder with the technic launcher, because it installs technic/tekkit into separate places and doesn't mess with the default vanilla install. the folder with the techniclauncher.jar should be called ".techniclauncher". I don't know EXACTLY where it will be for you because I don't use linux and I'm not sure where it places itself. probably in your user's home directory if I has to make a guess.

the key is to make sure you're putting rtemp in that .techniclauncher directory, and not somewhere else like wherever you put the launcher jar file after you downloaded it, because it will look in the same place (.techniclauncher directory) for the rtemp folder no matter what.

if that doesn't work, then you are on your own. I've already had to repeat myself on an internet forum here once, so I'm just gonna suggest that if this doesn't cut it for explanation, try finding the nearest computer science major and asking them about it.