Update Failed

ZixisDragonfire

Question

Launcher Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows 7 Prof SP1

Java Version: 1.7.0_09-b05

Antivirus Program: Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes

Description of Problem:

Unable to update Technic, Unable to clear cashe (minor issue but may be connected). It seems like there are several people having a very similar issue. It also appears that the MD5 mismatch error without any of the Java (Unknown Source) errors, and the MD% mismatch with Java (Unknown Source) errors are two different problems.

I've tried a fresh install and all of my internet floodgates are wide open. I do not mind n00b solution suggestions because some of the simplest fixes are the easiest to overlook. Please only reply with a solution, solution suggestion, or a link to a solution.

Error Messages:

Update Failed

Error Log:

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] ------------------------------------------

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] Launcher is starting....

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] Launcher Build: '1.0.1.3'

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] Allocated 2730.6875 Mb of RAM

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] Java VM: '1.7.0_09-b05'

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] OS Version: '6.1'

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] Is 64-bit: 'true'

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] [info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'http://mirror.technicpack.net/Technic/mirrors.yml'.

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] Starting download of 'http://mirror.technicpack.net/Technic/CHECKSUM.md5', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] Copying: \temp\file4388048153598182957.tmp to: \launcher\CHECKSUM.md5

[15:00:34] [sEVERE] File Downloaded: \launcher\CHECKSUM.md5

[15:00:35] [sEVERE] [MD5 Mismatch] File '\launcher\technicssp\modpack.yml' has md5 of '1270b0d2f48be4b1a71d03e86d91f1c8' instead of '50f255443ab3f647c9abe62655e9b6e9'

[15:00:35] [sEVERE] [info] Downloading 'modpack.yml' from 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/technicssp/modpack.yml'.

[15:00:35] [sEVERE] [info] Downloading 'minecraft.yml' from 'http://mirror.technicpack.net/Technic/minecraft.yml'.

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] File \temp\file4388048153598182957.tmp failed to delete

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Unable to delete directory \temp.

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.FileUtils.deleteDirectory(FileUtils.java:29)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.OptionDialog.clearCache(OptionDialog.java:324)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.OptionDialog.actionPerformed(OptionDialog.java:264)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

[15:00:42] [sEVERE] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:48] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.4'.

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] java.net.MalformedURLException

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.async.Download.<init>(Download.java:49)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.DownloadUtils.downloadFile(DownloadUtils.java:32)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MinecraftDownloadUtils.downloadMinecraft(MinecraftDownloadUtils.java:51)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.GameUpdater.updateMC(GameUpdater.java:129)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:850)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:832)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

[15:00:50] [sEVERE] ... 16 more

[15:00:51] [sEVERE] Exiting the Technic Launcher

17 answers to this question

Just so you know, telling people to bump is a bad idea (and against the rules). As for the error, double check to make sure both your Java and Operating System are using the correct bit (either 64 or 32). Also, double check to make sure there aren't any extra folders that the launcher created outside of the .techniclauncher folder, if there are delete them. Finally, if you haven't already, try running it as an administrator.

I apologize on the bumping request. Both the OS and Java are 64 bit. I was not running it as an administrator, but I have now tried that with no effect. There were no folders that I noticed that were created out of the .techniclauncher folder, however I did not search my entire file tree, just the AppData folder. On that subject, I understand how that might create an issue with the cashe clearing issue, but fail to understand how it would create the failure to update. If that were an issue, wouldn't that be a sever problem with the launcher (i.e. installing files in random directories; failing to clean up temporary installation files)? Thank you for the suggestions.

Still no definitive fix? I am seeing more and more of this "Update Failed" error in the bug reports. Am I to assume that this error could be caused by one of a zillion different issues, and no one has figured out what the cause is? I find it interesting that it is not being reported by everyone, or is the issue with one or two specific modes of play (tekkit, technic, vanilla). I am having no issue with tekkit or vanilla, just with technic. Others are having this issue with just tekkit. I'm just stating some interesting observations. However, I do want to thank you, Jorcer, for all your time trying to help all these errors. I've seen many of your posts on various errors and I understand how much time it can take to troubleshoot a multitude of issues. I will continue to wait for a solution.

Still no definitive fix? I am seeing more and more of this "Update Failed" error in the bug reports. Am I to assume that this error could be caused by one of a zillion different issues, and no one has figured out what the cause is? I find it interesting that it is not being reported by everyone, or is the issue with one or two specific modes of play (tekkit, technic, vanilla). I am having no issue with tekkit or vanilla, just with technic. Others are having this issue with just tekkit. I'm just stating some interesting observations. However, I do want to thank you, Jorcer, for all your time trying to help all these errors. I've seen many of your posts on various errors and I understand how much time it can take to troubleshoot a multitude of issues. I will continue to wait for a solution.

The Update Failed error (from what I have seen) can be caused by not having all of your Antiviruses AND Firewalls turned off, not running as an administrator, mistakes by the devs (naming files wrong/putting the files in the wrong place) and many other things. Sometimes it affects the Launcher (usually AV's cause this) and sometimes it only affects one of the packs. I don't think yours is caused by any of these things though, because I have never encountered someone who couldn't clear their cache... That seems to be the anomaly that makes this different from all of the others. You are getting a MalformedURLException AND a NullPointerException, which is not very common...

Since I have never seen this particular issue, here is a list (off the top of my head) of the less common errors that I have seen

1. If you are using a language other than English, you may get errors (only even seen this with Turkish though) UNLIKELY

2. Not running as Administrator

3. Hidden Firewalls

4. Certain AV's need to be uninstalled sometimes (I don't think yours are on the list though)

I will do some Googleing and see what I can come up with.

Again, thank you for your time and effort. I have seen a work around on http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/update-failed-on-development-build.30716/ However I do not feel a work around is a solution to an issue like this, and I have yet to try it out. Of the possible solutions you've suggested; the language is not the issue (English), as stated before I was not running the launcher as an administrator, but I am now, firewalls have all been disabled (even to the point of closing all non-essential processes), and I have tried to uninstall and reinstall everything (the launcher, minecraft, deleting everything in the .techniclauncher and the .minecraft folders, etc.). As far as the clearing the cashe, I haven't seen that anywhere either. That begs me to wonder if any of the others having this issue have tried to clear the cashe after receiving this error, or even if they think it might be related.

Okay I have tried the exe and jar files but i keep getting this...

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]    Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.4'.

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at java.net.URL.<init>(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.async.Download.<init>(Download.java:49)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.DownloadUtils.downloadFile(DownloadUtils.java:32)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MinecraftDownloadUtils.downloadMinecraft(MinecraftDownloadUtils.java:51)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.GameUpdater.updateMC(GameUpdater.java:129)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:850)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:832)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

[22:46:55] [sEVERE]        ... 16 more

[22:46:58] [sEVERE]    Exiting the Technic Launcher

BTW I think I figured out what the problem is... THERE'S NO 1.4.4 to 1.4.2 downgrade... or am I wrong?

Okay I have tried the exe and jar files but i keep getting this...

BTW I think I figured out what the problem is... THERE'S NO 1.4.4 to 1.4.2 downgrade... or am I wrong?

If the solutions here didn't help, you should post your own bug report.