New technic launcher not saving settings and losing custom modpacks

doogle

Question

Launcher Version: Build 285

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Java Version: Version 7 update 21 build 1.7.0_21-b11

Antivirus Program: Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes

Description of Problem:

The technic launcher is loading as a brand new install each time I open it. It saves mod packs to the .technic\modpacks folder but when I close and re-open the launcher, it forgets any custom mod packs I've installed, making me have to re-add the pack each time I wish to play. Also changing the amount of RAM used resets too on reloading, even though it says to close and re-open the program when you change the value!

Error Messages:

None

Error Log:

10 answers to this question

I have to second this, and it causes huge problems for server admins. Also, since everything has been repathed all of your custom control settings and video settings and everything else are gone as well.

The original path for modpacks was .technic/modpackname

Now it is:

/technic/modpacks/modpackname

So all of your saved single player games need to be moved, along with all kinds of other stuff like REI minimap waypoint files.

I cant believe you guys made a major change like this without notifying people, just pushed it out there and caused all kinds of problems.

Same experience on mac OS10.8.5. The actual files that are in /technic/modpacks/modpackname do not get deleted, the modpack just vanishes from the modpack selection screen in the launcher. When you readd the pack, it seems to detect the existing files and not delete them. Please Fix

I'm getting the same problem where whenever I launch Technic, it only shows the default modpacks and not ones that I've added. I moved the packs to the new location, custom modpacks still aren't showing up when I launch, but I can now play my saved games from the default packs, Tekkit Classic, Hexxit etc. But Tekkit won't launch now, I must have stuffed something up when moving that one over.

I can't get GabaTron's Farming Pack to show up either, I keep having to reinstall it. I'm on an older computer and this is becoming a serious issue for me--it's eating up my RAM and my pc starts to overheat downloading the packs.

Make sure to run the technic launcher as an administrator, so that it can save settings/files to its install directory

Right click the shortcut, select properties. Near the bottom click advanced, and tick Run as administrator.

--edit--

not sure how to do this in macOS, or if it would even be a fix.. sorry

This problem seems to be fixed now with build 293 of the launcher.

I've even managed to make myself a working 1.6.4 mod pack, though the technicpack site seems to be up and down like a yoyo at the moment, making it difficult to test it :P