Experiment [Help Required]

Kaytfoh

Hey guys, I am here to appeal to those of you with medium to low spec machines that have around 4GB RAM minimum and have hard drives rather than SSDs for an experiment. In a test I did with willing patrons on the Technic IRC they agreed their game experience was smoother as a result of this and I just wanted to get your opinions on the same.

Basically we are going to see if we can improve gameplay smoothness by moving the launcher to whats known as a RAM disk, that is, a disk drive that exists only in your computers memory. The reason for this is that it's much faster to load things from a RAM disk than a regular Hard Disk, and in some cases is faster than SSDs but the effect would be less pronounced.

Below I will link you to a ZIP file, within is everything you need to test this, the instructions to follow are in the README txt file.

Before you try it, load up a world you are using and fly around at full speed, take note of any FPS drops (by pressing F3 and looking near the top where it says FPS) and if it feels "smooth". Normally when moving at speed you would experience momentary freezes as the chunks of the world load. Reports are that this is eliminated or at least very minimal running on a RAM disk.

Also create a new world, often while the chunks are being written your starting FPS is at a crawl, I am hoping this process will smooth that out too.

Please reply with a simple 1-10 of how much of an improvement the performance of the game is for you. Obviously if this is of great benefit to people and creates a smoother experience then it could be an option in the launcher if the Technic team are willing to include it. Otherwise I'm sure those of you that get improved performance would continue to use it and it would at least benefit someone out there.

Here is the file as previously mentioned:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajrwi6kcemqoy84

The cmd files within the Tekit folder can be right clicked and opened for editing if you wish to check them. There is nothing untward in this ZIP. I am merely interested in if this will help anyone.

Thanks!