Problem with Java in general

MainFrame

Question

First of all, I want to excuse myself if this is the wrong section , just move the thread.

Now, here is my problem.

I just bought a new HP pavilion g series laptop , set up and everything , but it won't open .jar files.

I downloaded the newest Java version , still nothing.

Tried to open it with all different kinds of java related .exe things , tried it with stuff like javaw.exe ,javaws.exe and so on.

Still nothing, nothing happens.

Nothing at all.

So , here I am asking someone for help.

I really love the technic pack and I would love to play it on my new laptop.

This really is not a problem with the launcher, but with my computer , so don't think I'm bitching about the launcher.

Edit: Nearly forgot this:

Java Version : Java 7 update 4 ,64 bit.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

20 answers to this question

Is there a good reason you are using the .jar directly instead of the .exe?

In case you are running some other app than than the launcher try running them on command line to see if it actually works. Also, you should be using just the plain-old java.exe, not the other java*.exe's.

Is there a good reason you are using the .jar directly instead of the .exe?

In case you are running some other app than than the launcher try running them on command line to see if it actually works. Also, you should be using just the plain-old java.exe, not the other java*.exe's.

When using the techniclauncher.exe nothing happens.

The "downloading launcher" windows pops up and that's it.

I tried using every single java*.exe , including the java.exe and nothing worked.

I have no idea why this is nor do I know how to fix it.

If someone had the same problem and knws how to fix it, please tell me.

im having the same issues with all the same demographics including the 64 bit operating and the 64 bit java but im hitting a white screen when i try to create a new world....it completely shuts down.....any suggestions sorry if im in the wrong spot as well

When using the techniclauncher.exe nothing happens.

The "downloading launcher" windows pops up and that's it.

Does it generate any log files anywhere?

Have you tried running it (both launcer exe and .jar) from command line?

Does it generate any log files anywhere?

Have you tried running it (both launcer exe and .jar) from command line?

It does not create any logs and I have tried running both from command line.

Even set up a batch file and some shortcuts to associate the .jar with java, but nothing works.

Nothing happens, literally nothing.

hold up, absolutely no messages appear when you run it from the command line? literally not a single error, line of text, or anything? really? I'm not talking about just what you might think is important, I mean anything at all whatsoever. no matter how meaningless it may seem.

java.exe is the one you want to use, btw. when you go to run the .jar from the command line, what are you putting in?

that's generally how you would do it. what exactly happens when you try to run that command? please don't say "nothing" because SOMETHING has got to get printed to the console

Actually, one line of text blinks up for a goddamn nano second and then the console just closes itself.

I have no idea what this means.

I'm not a complete beginner, but I've never seen this kind of thing happen.

Guess I'll just wipe my laptop ( it's 3 days old, doesn't really matter) and get rid of all this hp user kit suite deluxe beginner guide help crap.

Heard about some other HP users that got the same issue.

before you blow your computer away and reimage or whatever, hold up a second.

you're just putting that into the start -> run box, aren't you? if you want it to not close instantly, open up cmd.exe, navigate to %appdata%\.techniclauncher and run that command again in the command window, not from the run box. it won't go away. let me know what you get

edit: I'll even give you the commands to get there:

cd %appdata%\.techniclauncher

java -jar technic-launcher.jar

give it a shot.

you can easily make a batch file that you can run from anywhere. alternatively you can just use the full path in the argument to java.

either way, the line you'll need will be this:

java -jar %appdata%\.techniclauncher\technic-launcher.jar

put that in a .bat file for the batch file route, which will give a handy icon you can just use to start the launcher from anywhere or put it right into the run box and it'll work too.

you can easily make a batch file that you can run from anywhere. alternatively you can just use the full path in the argument to java.

either way, the line you'll need will be this:

java -jar %appdata%\.techniclauncher\technic-launcher.jar

put that in a .bat file for the batch file route, which will give a handy icon you can just use to start the launcher from anywhere or put it right into the run box and it'll work too.

You sir, are amazing.

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Keep up the great work :D