Need help from experienced server owners.

Shurken

Hello!

My name is Shurken and I want to make a small 10-20 person AOTBT server! I was wondering what the recommended RAM and server specs I should have for a 20 person server.

Also, any good hosting sites that you've used in the past or present would be greatly appreciated! :D

Hosting sites for what exactly? The server? There's plenty out there, tbh I don't recommend a single one (They either lack in information, overcharge, bad support, etc) but if I was going to recommend any at all, itd be VeryGames - as for RAM, 10-20ppl? All of them starting out wouldnt take much RAM at all, if they all have end-game bases with pretty much one of everything, i could see RAM getting up to 5GB easily.

I would have spend some additional time to actually come up with a server machine that would be able to handle that load of people. I believe it would be around $400 if there was nothing to go from (no case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, power supply, motherboard, etc...) if you wanted to go this route - but also be aware that there is also the network loads that would be necessary to circumvent, and modpacks just increase the network loads, I wouldn't recommend a server on a <1Mbps upload line unless its for about two-three people total (including yourself). For 10-20 ppl on this modpack I would suggest at least a 5Mbps up line, 10Mbps up being more preferred (and may be a bit overkill, I'd need to do some networking diagnostics on the pack to get a better idea of its requirements per person)

This all said and done, while I did say I do not personally like any single hosting company out there because of the reasons I suggested, I did offer one option who I have had experience with that wasn't that bad (tho they suffered from the lack of info portion and their customer service leaves something to be desired but their actual server service isnt bad)

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for a host? I am with one right now, and they are really cool. there servers are high quality, they are fairly priced, and give good customer service, ect. They are kinda small, prob only 40 or so servers running with em ATM, from what I'm seeing in multicraft, but they are a pretty cool host overall, and you can get referrals to shave some off your bill ;)