Trying to add a mod to tekkit-based server, and custom modpack. Help!

ahhdem

Hello!  I have a server I have been running on for a while with some friends.  I would like to add a couple simple mods to the server, actually - I have added them, and I can manually drop the mods in my tekkit mods/ folder, but having all my friends do that is a bit of a pain. 

I've been trying to create my own private modpack *based off the tekkit (1.2.9e) modpack*.. 

To accomplish this I:

copied my techniclauncher/modpacks/tekkit folder to a new location

removed:

bin/minecraft.jar

resources/

saves/

stats/

other customised stuff

but when I start my modpack, it downloads, unpacks, and launcher disapperas and returns moments later.  techniclauncher.log will have:

'[b#439] 2014/12/03 17:16:17 [iNFO]  Caused by: java.lang.VerifyError: (class: net/minecraft/client/Minecraft, method: k signature: ()V) Incompatible argument to function'

(full error here: http://pastebin.com/4DT6Jcyi )

Which, as I've read is caused when packing/distributing bin/minecraft.jar -- I've removed this from the bin folder, and the mod I have added is just a .jar in the mods/ folder (my bin/modpack.jar is identical to the one in tekkit/bin/modpack.jar), so I'm not sure what could be wrong. 

The resultant minecraft.jar DOES have a different md5 than the one in my tekkit folder, however:

shiva:13 user$ md5 ~/Library/Application Support/technic/modpacks/onethree/bin/minecraft.jar
MD5 (/Users/user/Library/Application Support/technic/modpacks/onethree/bin/minecraft.jar) = 52b39ffb2e737d103437eec73f445418
shiva:13 user$ md5 ~/Library/Application Support/technic/modpacks/tekkit/bin/minecraft.jar
MD5 (/Users/user/Library/Application Support/technic/modpacks/tekkit/bin/minecraft.jar) = 0c0305a606185291157377e1e589b1e0

I've read a bunch of threads and have thought about using  plowmanplows barebonespack but that would mean starting from scratch. I'm sure im doing something simple wrong. Been scouring forums and google for a couple hours now and am kind of surprised to find noone else asking this question? 

Halp?  Pastebin of how I created my pack and what is in it is here: http://pastebin.com/LQnvT3K5
And you can pretty much recreate my scenario with the above steps (I don't believe adding denLib and QuarryPlus have contributed to this regression at all)

Cheers!

Edited by ahhdem

• Discord Moderator

Your modpack archive should contain three top level folders (unless you've added a mod which requires its own top level folder):

• bin - Contains ONLY the modpack.jar file
  • config - Contains all the config files
  • mods - Contains the mods for the pack

Any time you are requesting help for a custom modpack you should provide the API URL. This will allow us to diagnose problems with the pack settings. In your case it seems like you might have the incorrect MC version selected in your pack settings. This is just a guess without having the API URL.

Thanks for the reply, @plowmanplow -- apologies for not including the url. 

I made the changes suggested however I am receiving the same error.  Here is the paste:  <redacted>

The API URL is: <redacted>

1.4 is the version with your changes, 1.3 is the one from the steps described in my first post.. 1.1 and 1.2 are unavailable as I did not version the file, just replaced it. 

Thanks again for your help! 

Edited by ahhdem

• Discord Moderator
  • Your pack settings are configured to be MC 1.6.4, but your Forge (modpack.jar) and mods seem to be for Forge/MC 1.2.5... well, mostly.
  • Your bin folder should only contain the modpack.jar file.
  • It looks like you have dropped a 1.6.4 version of denLib and QuarryPlus into a 1.2.5 modpack. This will never work.

There are modern 1.7.10 versions for just about everything in that pack. Someone else has already made a 1.6.4 (or maybe 1.7.10) version of the original Tekkit Classic (which you seem to be starting from) which you could modify to your needs. Making a 1.2.5 modpack at this point is an exercise in frustration.

Ah-hah!  Boy I should have noticed that... I was moving too fast and went for the 'tekkit' and didnt even see the 'tekkitmain' folder in my technic/modpacks folder.  I assumed classic would have been 'tekkitclassic' and ended up basing off classic unintended. 

Thanks for your help and patience :)  I'm up and running!