Cusotm Modpack launching as vanilla

Chikerenaham

Help here please, I am making a modpack and it launches as vanilla minecraft. Here are the links:

Version: 1.7.10

Download Link: https://copy.com/DivE9D0KteczZjPb?download=1(Automatic Download)

Modpack Link: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/mo-stuff-modpack.520554

Platform URL: http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/mo-stuff-modpack

Edited by Chikerenaham

• Discord Moderator
  • Make sure you are incrementing your pack version in the settings page when updating the download URL.
  • It looks like you have extracted and recreated the SmartCursor mod archive. Don't do this. Just place the file downloaded from the author in your mods folder.

Fix those problems and come back if you are still having troubles.

• Make sure you are incrementing your pack version in the settings page when updating the download URL.
  • It looks like you have extracted and recreated the SmartCursor mod archive. Don't do this. Just place the file downloaded from the author in your mods folder.

Fix those problems and come back if you are still having troubles.

What exactly do you mean by the second one, where I just place the file downloaded from the author in my mods folder? Do you mean not to make it a .zip but a file?

• Discord Moderator

I mean that the name of the file from the author for SmartCursor is "SmartCursor-1.3.0-1.7.10.zip". Your file was "smartcursor-130-17107945892.zip". Don't mess with the file provided by the author. Don't extract it, don't rename it, don't add to it, don't edit it. Just download the ZIP file and put it in your mods folder. I would recommend caution because almost every time I see folks with problems like this they are using a Mac. I think there is something which may be automatically extracting ZIP files. Don't do that.

I mean that the name of the file from the author for SmartCursor is "SmartCursor-1.3.0-1.7.10.zip". Your file was "smartcursor-130-17107945892.zip". Don't mess with the file provided by the author. Don't extract it, don't rename it, don't add to it, don't edit it. Just download the ZIP file and put it in your mods folder. I would recommend caution because almost every time I see folks with problems like this they are using a Mac. I think there is something which may be automatically extracting ZIP files. Don't do that.

But it runs fine with vanilla MC

• Discord Moderator

I'm just relating how it is "supposed" to be installed. If you are doing something different and it's working for you, go for it. If you are doing something different and the behavior is not what you expect (i.e. the mod working correctly), then maybe a bit of standards compliance is in order.

I'm just relating how it is "supposed" to be installed. If you are doing something different and it's working for you, go for it. If you are doing something different and the behavior is not what you expect (i.e. the mod working correctly), then maybe a bit of standards compliance is in order.

Well from what I see from the folder of the modpack, it doesn't unzip all three files and leave it in there, but it just leaves a folder that contains all three folders (bin, config, mods) Is there anyway to stop this from happening? I think this is why it is launching as vanilla minecraft

• Discord Moderator

The contents of your modpack archive are in a subfolder named "Mo Mo Stuff Modpack". This won't work. The required folders (bin, config, mods) must be at the top level of the folder structure inside the modpack archive. Also, your pack version is still 1.0. If you don't increment this number when you change your modpack archive file the Launcher will never know that the pack has been updated.

• Discord Moderator

I don't know how you are doing it, but your Smart Cursor mod is still messed up. The file name is correct now, but the contents are still jacked up. Do some Google searches on how to download a ZIP file without extracting it on a Mac. Since the ZIP file in your pack has extraneous Mac specific files in it, and the file from the author does not, the issue has to be with how you are downloading the file. You need to be just downloading the file. Don't extract it, don't do anything with it at all. Just download it. You might try using Chrome instead of Safari (just a thought).

I don't know how you are doing it, but your Smart Cursor mod is still messed up. The file name is correct now, but the contents are still jacked up. Do some Google searches on how to download a ZIP file without extracting it on a Mac. Since the ZIP file in your pack has extraneous Mac specific files in it, and the file from the author does not, the issue has to be with how you are downloading the file. You need to be just downloading the file. Don't extract it, don't do anything with it at all. Just download it. You might try using Chrome instead of Safari (just a thought).

I did use Chrome to download it first place and didn't unzip it or anything like that, should I just remove it for now? Also, it still unzips the modpack with a folder that consists the config, bin, mods folders. But I compressed them without putting them in a three folder. Should I try to zip them up with windows? (WinZIP)

• Discord Moderator

Ahh, a classic example of not getting mods from the authors. If you are getting your mod from places like Curse, Minecraftforum, or a branded website for the mod itself you are fairly likely to be getting it from the author. Always look for supporting evidence:

• Source code resources (GitHub, etc.) which reference the same author as the post you are reading.
  • Look for the mod URL from the mcmod.info file inside the mod archive. Does it match the website where the mod came from?
  • Does the mod author name from the mcmod.info file match the name of the post author from where the mod came from?
  • Are there response posts from the mod author in the thread/post where the mod came from?

Yes, this kind of thing takes a tiny bit more effort. However, one quickly realizes there are three places which 99% or more of mods end up being from and are easily spotted: minecraftforum.net, Curse gaming, author's branded website. Yes, some mods can only be found outside of this group, but being there should make one VERY suspicious about the content (as you have found).

Edited by plowmanplow