Lots of confusion regarding technic

Eleryn

Question

Hey guys, I'm sorry if you hear this a lot but I've tried my best to research this and I've just about given up.

I've been playing Tekkit with my friends for a while, we've been having a blast. But I've recently wanted to start playing some singleplayer worlds, to get the mods that aren't in Tekkit, like thaumcraft.

I've decided to try out skytable, it looks enjoyable. However, I'm extremely confused how to get it working properly.

I've set the launcher to use the latest version for 1.2.5, and selected technic from the dropdown. But when I get into the world, it seems that Equivilent Exchange is not installed at all. The "mod select" button doesn't work for technic ssp, and it's not appearing on the loaded mods list in-game.

The main problem I'm having is that your site is very confusing. Have I downloaded the wrong version? Do I want the download from the tab "Technic" or "Technic launcher"? What's the difference? What mods are in which, because it appears Optifine is not installed when I launch into singleplayer?

I'm just very confused because there seems to be no single version anywhere. People on youtube seem to have completely different mods installed, and the amount of trouble I had to go through to get our server working was just as bad.

I'd appreciate any help. I really love the pack and the effort you guys went to making it all work together, I'm just a little frustrated at how all over the place your documentation seems to be.

2 answers to this question

Heh, documentation. That might be nice, but eh. It's more of a thing where you hang around the forums long enough and things just start making sense. Anyway, to answer a few of your other questions:

The site is sort of all over the place because a lot of it hasn't been changed since the switch to the launcher was made. There used to be a technic installer, but now it's all launcher, which is much nicer. The version selector is basically a measure of how many bugs or differences you're willing to put up with. If you use the recommended version, that's generally stable and good, though it's quite a bit behind the times in terms of version numbers. 7.0.1 is also generally stable, or so I've heard, and more up to date, but it doesn't have all the mods you might want. It's still a development version. Versions above that are very development, and probably shouldn't be played, but they're available if you feel like being a guinea pig.

If you have questions about a specific version of technic or tekkit, the forums are pretty informative. Check the stickys, use the search bar.