Server Help

Tamanor

Hi 

So basically I want to make a server for me and about 3 / 6 friends so I decided to get out my old computer from the attic Specs:

CPU : AMD Phenom 8400 triple-core processor

RAM: 8GB DDR2

MBoard: GA-MA785GM0US2H

Now I have set up the server with Ubuntu and got my friend to help set up the server as I'm a noob to Linux XD but any ways when I run the server it all runs Ok but the CPU spikes between 30% and 100% and I have noticed when it goes over 100% the server says that it Can't keep up and then there massive lag. so I have decided that I will have to upgrade the CPU and was wondering that if I bought a:

AMD Phenom 2 X4 925 would it fix / help with the CPU usage or is that CPU still not good enough ? and if that is still not good enough what would you recommend I get 

Thanks

1. The modpack is a custom one me and my friends have put together

2. Java Version is 1.7.0_76

3. Yes I installed 64-bit java

4. Not sure what make but it a 80-Gb Hard Drive

5. And Atm I have 4Gb allocated to the server and from htop it shows it only uses about 3gb

Edited by Tamanor

• Discord Moderator
  • Chocolate Quest, Mo' Creatures and Roguelike Dungeons can all add a fair amount of world generation load by themselves. Used together it can be brutal during new chunk generation. The high entity counts with custom movement generated by all of them can dramatically increase the server CPU load.
  • Your current CPU and a 925 are so close as to be the same in the context of MC server hosting. Upgrading to a 925 will buy you nothing.
  • Is the CPU load high all the time, or only during heavy world generation?

• Discord Moderator

The CPU will always be a contributor, but the MC server will be hitting nearly every component in the system. I would rank them thusly:

1. CPU single core speed
  2. Memory speed (you want low latency, high bus rate)
  3. Disk speed/performance (NCQ is highly important)
  4. Network IO performance (card should support TCP segmentation and checksum offloading)

The only way to really know what is going on is to use Opis in game and VisualVM outside to isolate where the resources are being consumed. Using the Linux tool "atop" can help you get a picture of what's going on with the overall system as well.

Hi so I removed :

RogueLike

Mo'Creatures
ChocolateQuest

To test It helped a bit I mean it does not go over 100% CPU as much but it still going over. and still getting that : Can't Keep up! Did the system time change. Message lots which gives lags

• Discord Moderator

If you are getting "can't keep up" warnings when nothing is really going on then you almost surely have an issue with one of the packs. The best systems in the world can be brought low by worldgen in modded MC. It's just painful to do. If you are getting the warnings during periods of worldgen then you'll just have to deal with it until it stabalizes. If the former, I abide by my previous logging/monitoring recommendations.

So I'm still thinking that maybe upgrading my CPU might be a good idea but as you said the one I said would not be much different now since my motherboard is quite old I'm limited to only http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3447 the CPU's on this list

Because I have just removed all the mods on the server and ran it and noticed even when the server is booting up the CPU goes all the way up to 100% 

Maybe : Phenom II X2 565 - 3400MHz

OR Phenom II X2 570 - 3500MHz

Edited by Tamanor

Sorry for the Quad post XD

But I have been looking online and found a  AMD Phenom 2 X2 560 - 3.3GHz online for quite cheap and was thinking about getting it 

now the CPU that is in the Server atm is only a 2.1Ghz so I was wondering if I did get the 3.3Ghz I found would it make much of a diffrence? thanks

New CPU arrived today and seems to have made the server a lot more stable but it some times goes to 100% CPU still. but I think that is to do with all the mobs spawning and structures spawning so going to have to lower them.

Also I have noticed that then some structures spawn I believe it is from the Chocolate quest it does not remove all the Seeds so there floating around in the structure which I believe might also be a reason for the high CPU. is there any way I can get it to remove the Mod Speeds or is there a Mod for forge that removed Ground Items after some time 

Edited by Tamanor