Tekkit Lag & Memory Issues, Cannot Resolve

Dr Tanner

Question

Title: Tekkit Lag and Memory Issues, Cannot Resolve

Version: 3.0.3/3.0.4

Java Version: 1.7.0_06-ea, 64bit

Description of Problem:

I've been having problems with Tekkit similar to those described by a few others, e.g., game runs very smoothly for ten minutes or so but will suddenly begin to lag after that, severe lag spikes every couple of seconds until the game becomes unplayable. I've tried numerous recommended fixes to resolve this, including:

-allocating more memory to the Technic Launcher in the Options menu

-allocating less memory to the Technic Launcher in the Options menu

-manually allocating more memory to Java

-manually allocating more memory to Minecraft

-manually allocating more memory to the Technic Launcher

-updating Java

-telling my graphics card to use MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE when running Java, Minecraft or the Technic Launcher

-using a custom texture pack for Tekkit

-using Minecraft’s default texture pack

-turning down Minecraft’s graphics settings

-manually updating my graphics drivers

-uninstalling and reinstalling the Technic Pack

-uninstalling and reinstalling Java

None of it seems to make any difference. My PC runs on an Intel i5, 3.30GHz quad core processor and there is 4GB of RAM available. It runs much more demanding games and programs at full spec with no problem, so I find these issues with Tekkit a bit annoying.

Is there anything else I can try?

Error Messages:

No error messages. I was getting the ~Minecraft has run out of memory~ error before I turned off the custom texture pack, now it's just the lag.

Error Log:

N/A

I just found that my tekkit (even though I set it to previously and it is still set to) does not start with my graphics card. I'm not sure if your on a device that has switch-able graphics, but this could be a possibility.

PS. I am on a laptop that switches between a Intel HD3000 to a NVIDIA GT525m. I noticed even though it was set to use the nVidia chip, it didn't. I fixed this by right clicking and selecting "Run with Graphics Processor" -> "High Performance (NVIDIA)"

Dam man you have some serious issues, i mean wow. But give this a shot, try getting a new launcher? Yours maybe broken aka will run some program but when it comes to rocky waters bam down goes your ship. How old is your computer? And try using a later version of the launcher since 3.1.3 came out ive had a smoother ride with the FPS dunno why but there you go. Also here is a more uneasy idea and you may not like it, your computer may have a virus on it that consumes memory in order to operate at a capacity when a memory hungry application comes along it competes with it but as it goes will not win. When you boot your computer how much physical memory is being used? and how much ram these are clear indicates, and stranger things have happened :P

Well, I've got an update:

I don't know what I did but Tekkit works just fine now, except for a couple of known bugs, e.g., the quarry not recognising landmarks. I am thoroughly confused but not complaining.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, though,

I just started having this issue. It was working fine for about an hour then just started getting insane lag spikes. There is nothing wrong with the server because nobody else is getting it. I thought maybe I had turned off the chunk load distance (which I think is F8) but it's not doing anything. My RAM usage is only at 30-40% though which is strange.