Method to reacquire used Tin Cells

Weylin

One of the things that really bugs me is that tin is consumed when using cells in certain processes.

Every 4 cells is worth 1 tin ingot.

What if we had a way to get them back?

Perhaps an upgrade that unlocks a 2nd output slot for used tin cells?

When a cell is used, if it returned an item, then it could be recombined and smelted back into usable ingots.

You wouldn't have to constantly input tin into your automated systems, but you would need to create a system for retrieving, recombining, smelting, and reconstructing the tin cells.

Now if cells are combined by hand (like to make obsidian), melt in a reactor, or are used on a machine without the tin retriever upgrade, then it will behave as it does currently.

One of the things that really bugs me is that tin is consumed when using cells in certain processes.

Every 4 cells is worth 1 tin ingot.

What if we had a way to get them back?

Perhaps an upgrade that unlocks a 2nd output slot for used tin cells?

When a cell is used, if it returned an item, then it could be recombined and smelted back into usable ingots.

You wouldn't have to constantly input tin into your automated systems, but you would need to create a system for retrieving, recombining, smelting, and reconstructing the tin cells.

Now if cells are combined by hand (like to make obsidian), melt in a reactor, or are used on a machine without the tin retriever upgrade, then it will behave as it does currently.

That's actually a very good idea, and I would gladly support it. Though, if you want it to have chances to be considered, you should go post it on the official Industrial Craft forum/thread on MCForums, as that is where the modder looks, not here. Remember, the Technic team only puts all the mods together in the best way possible, they don't make the mods themselves. Good luck!

I actually can't think of any reasons to use cells unless it's as a component in a recipe that doesn't get used up...

Coalfuel tanks use 6 coal and 1.5 tin ingots to fill

Biofuel tanks use 48 units of plant junk and 1.5 tin ingots to fill

It consumes a cell to turn a water cell into a snowball

It consumes a cell to use in a geothermal generator

There's just too many alternatives that are completely renewable and low maintenance. I guess it only makes since to use when IC2 is a standalone mod, im not sure.

It's likely a balancing factor, how cheap it is to make cells versus buckets, and also how convenient. You trade the cheap manufacture and versatility for non-reusability. I personally think it has a rather good value, for when you've progressed a world to the point that you're not actually short on materials, because not having to deal with empty buckets is yet another point in cells' favor.

Until you get to the point that you're literally farting tin dust, cells are of limited use, but still alright in my opinion. Best for producing obsidian early. I am all in favor of player choice, of course, so I endorse this request even if I wouldn't use it. It would not necessarily be difficult to code this, but a third-party implementing it involves decompilation/recompilation, distribution and maintenance of patch files, and a whole lot of hassle, so I wouldn't expect it to ever happen other than if it were changed in IC itself.