New to tekkit, just need some server advice please.

termy

Hi all, ive been a minecraft player for some time now and both my kids have been playing tekkit for a few weeks with their friends. To cut a long story short, my boys and their mates had their world trashed in an online server. They put alot of time and effort into making it and it was destroyed in minutes.

So, i decided that i would install tekkit and set up our own online server that they could all play in, without interuption from anyone else.

I have the server up and running but they now tell me that a couple of the things that they used to have in the other servers are missing from mine.

I apologise now if my descriptions are not great but here goes.They say that i am missing some commands. they used to be able to set them selves jobs and earn money and that they could also type in commands to teleport and set spawn points.Im sorry these descriptions a vague but im sure some one knows what im talking about lol.

Many thx, Termy You're old enough to know to have read the rules first.

ok, will do. many thx for your quick reply.

Just one thing, how do i find out what plugins are running on it? Its been along time since i admned any servers lol

Edit: ok, i found the mods but i seem to have most of them. i just dont know how to configure them.

I think the Essentials bukkit plugin can set spawn points and has teleport commands. There is always a teleport command in bukkit though, but only to other players.

Earning money and getting jobs sounds like some RPG plugin, check the list on plugins.bukkit.org.

ok, will do. many thx for your quick reply.

Just one thing, how do i find out what plugins are running on it? Its been along time since i admned any servers lol

Edit: ok, i found the mods but i seem to have most of them. i just dont know how to configure them.

Well it seems like you figured it out, but you could just log on that server and type /pl. A lot of servers block that command, however, it seems as most Tekkit admins don't go that route. Ignore all the "mod_whatever" as those are mods that everyone has just by running Tekkit. You're looking for things like "Warps, Jobs, LogBlock" etc.

If you're still looking for jobs, it's really down to one plugin: mcjobs. We've tried 'Server Jobs' and 'Jobs', and mcjobs is the best so far (Jobs doesn't even load). The only issue we have with mcjobs is the miner class. If they strart using Red Matter Picks, or mining lasers, the plugin tries to pay them too fast and you'll start seeing loads of sql exceptions.

If you're doing this because their map was ruined, I highly suggest you get LogBlock (or maybe CoreProtect if you don't want to mess with mysql - but you really should use mysql for logging) and apply the patch for logging EE tools. This alone could save your map. I believe there is a sticky in the SMP thread that you would benefit greatly from by reading it.

Edit: if you need help, send me a pm and I can show you how to configure some plugins.