Help please setting up server on LAN

ukubuntu

Hi all,

I am a dad who wants his son to have a server on the local network which is two computers with a wired connection to a DSL-2780 router. (an wireless N router with 4 LAN ports)

We have previously managed a Vanilla server 1.3.1 through the launcher over wireless connections to the router. He would now like to set up a tekkit server on version 1.2.5 but we cannot seem to get both to connect.

On his PC, he is able to access his server running both on an IP of 192.168.1.7 (found by ipconfig) and localhost. We have also run this on 192.168.1.7:25565 with it working fine.

On my Ubuntu PC (which the vanilla worked fine) I cannot access the server whether I put in 192.168.1.7:25565 or 192.168.1.7 so what could we be doing wrong. Everytime connection fails.

What could be going wrong. I am not aware of any firewall issue, as said vanilla worked fine.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

what are you not getting? failed to connect from within the client? kicked off by the server for version mismatch?

windows firewall sounds like its the culprit as it will differentiate between specific program names. like if you authorize launch.bat in the vanilla folder, you would need to do the same for the tekkit one in another folder.

I had the same problem, with ip's that dont work, than i used hamachi, very simple and effective because it gives you an ip and that works perfect. Im not sure if it will work on a local network but its worth trying (you only need hamachi on the pc that hosts the server)

1) Download and install hamachi

2) Click on the on button

3) Now next to the on button you will see a bunch of numbers. The numbers before the / (example: 1.111.11.111) that will be your server ip.

4) Now you just need to go to the server.properties file there you will see server-ip: (it should be blank) there you type the hamachi adress (example: 1.111.11.111)

5) You are done! type the hamachi adress in tekkit and normally that shold work fine.

Hamachi should not be required on a single LAN, as said, it has worked fine on vanilla.

I am able to log in Minecraft on the technic launcher, and open the Tekkit screen. I then go to multi player, do a direct connect of

192.168.1.7:25565 or 192.168.1.7 and it takes about a minute to say the connection timed out. If I try a set server, it says failed to connect fairly quickly.

What I may try next is to put the server on my computer (its a bit faster anyway and see if we can do it that way.

Many thanks, and appreciate the ideas

Cheers

if its ticking for a bit and then times out its more than likely a firewall issue on the other machine. you shouldn't need to specify the port when you're using the default port either. It's only needed when you're binding multiple servers on the same machine. I run vanilla, tekkit, and hack/mine on the same box all on different ports.

um, i've used hamachi since before it was "Logmein" and you've always needed hamachi on all machines and they had to be in the same network group. Otherwise you're not in the same subnet to even ping.

Yes your right, next time ill just let answer people wo do know it :P

Time to follow up.

Thanks to all the help above.

The way I worked through it was as follows

I installed the technic server on my Ubuntu machine and this worked really well for my son to log into and play from his Windows PC. But when I started the client up on the Ubuntu(linux) machine it ran into a wall of inpenetrable lag.

So we went back to the windows PC.

Thinking that as the Linux comp had allowed windows to access it, I switched of the whole windows firewall for a moment and suddenly my linux machine could access the server on the Windows and so two could play across the lan YAY!

So I then put the windows firewall back on and set an exception in the firewall for both TCP and UDP on port 25565 and all continued to work. I am glad to say then, problem SOLVED :D

In what I think is a totally unrelated incident as I tried to boost up my linux memory, I think I damaged something and I am getting no boot on that machine so I now need to fix that. No rest for the wicked!

A hamburger would be nice right about now.