where to make available modded tekkit.jar for custom servers

Architect

Hello, I am still fuzzy as to how I would go about making a modification of a server jar (think a server jar that only generates desert worlds, or water worlds)

I am going through a lot to make these happen, so I figure the least I could hope for is that I *and the players on my servers) are not the only ones who can benefit from them. Do I send them to the people here, and let them know what it is, and let them post them as options along side their traditional tekkit server jar? Do I have to contact everyone that worked on a mod for these, asking permission then find a host to host the files? Just wanting to give something back for all the info and details as well as all the original hard work to the community that has done all this to make it possible. (also would not hurt to get others who are running servers to want to join in building a massive network of servers, that creates a universe of different worlds heh heh)

any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Well, first, you don't distribute the entire jar, just the files that you changed. Then you host it on mediafire or dropbox or whatever is most convenient for you and post links. In all likelihood, it won't be an option in the launcher, as what goes in there is up to the admins.

ah well what I am looking at doing *since my programming skills are not to advanced* is to just modify a jar so that it always generates the same type of world, so changing the world to another type would require uploading a different file to run from the lanch bat file. Is there some format that would make the insertion of my files into the jar easier? ( from what I have seen so far, I am just editing .class files so....) or is that something that no matter what will require manually unzipping the jar and copying my files over top of the existing files in it?

I ask because I see a lot of people saying, make it work with this program or that program (mod loader, bukkit, etc.)

Ok, so a few notes on terminology. What you're doing is called a base-class edit, modifying one of the included classes. For most people, they would have to open up their bukkit jar and drop your modified file in. When using the technic launcher however, they could just put it in modpack.jar, and it would override the base one.

If you create a mod by changing a file in the tekkit jar, this edit will not be compatible with the normal SMP server jar or the normal minecraft jar. tekkit is based on bukkit(another type of minecraft server), which uses different name for most things.

There are several mods which exist to enable you to mod minecraft without editing base classes. Specifically Modloader and FML. There's another useful one called Forge. If you use Forge, might as well use FML, as they come together. If you don't use forge, Modloader is fine. As there is plenty of documentation on these floating around, I'll leave you to it.

• 3 weeks later...

ah ok thanks for the help, I think part of my project may be easier than I originally thought, as I am thinking now that I can just extract a copy of the biome I want to be the only one in the world, and then make copies of it renaming each one with the name of the other biomes and then copying these back into the jar, over the other files, (say copy out desert.class and rename it forest.class, then copy it back into the jar over the actual forest.class, this way when the world is generating and wants to make a forest biome, it will use the template that desert gives and make desert though it will still show up as forest if you have a program that lets you see what biome you are in.) If it works I will come back and drop off that info, (that it worked ;)) and an IP to a test server so people can see it in action.