Best Practices for management?

Sennex

My server has grown to be far more popular than I thought

I have a 2gb server over on Exodus. I limited it to 8 players, of which I assumed I would have 4-5 on at most. 2-3 on a regular basis.

Anyway, I posted some server pics on a forum I share with some good friends, and now they all want to play.

I am trying to institute some guidelines for folks that play on the server, as I am really unsure if the 2gb is enough. There are times when I have one person on and I am running at 74% mem usage. Other times I have 5 people on and I am at 50%. So its real hit or miss. (CPU usage is generally 13%-20%, at most 30%)

I have created a "Restart" procedure to run every night, but as that was just implemented, I cannot predict how it will impact performance.

I am also looking at limiting the server mods.

Its a peaceful/ survival server in that I don't allow mobs to spawn, but I also don't allow creative mode. We do have villagers and a village near the spawn (We got insanely lucky with our seed)

I was hoping for some advice on what to remove (if anything), or what sort of processes you all as admins have in place for managing things.

Tekkit servers seem to be far more complicated than normal Bukkit servers, so I am really unsure how to proceed to help my players out.

The main mods I am looking to remove are ComputerCraft, Balkons Weapon Mods, and maybe EE.

Thank you for your time!

My question is why do you have 2gb for 8 people? I run a server with 25 players on 2gb easily. As for removing mob spawns make sure that the players are able to get items such as bone meal in another manner i.e. Iconomy plugin

Why wouldn't I want at least that much for my players? 16 a month (what I pay) is a damned good price.

Yes, mob drops are available through other means.

What about my other questions?

So you're removing CC and "maybe" EE uh. In usual, it's more of the inverse situations, but that's all about what you and your players like. You might just want to know that EE can be used to grief massively, and is difficult to handle on survival servers.

If you're really worried about lag, you'll want to educate your players. First, show them how wonderful RP tubes are compared to BC pipes, and tell them to always use the first rather than the second. Once, they've mastered the concept, disable pipes altogether.

Next, recall them that timers don't need to all be at 0.2 second to be as useful as possible, and very often only need 1 sec. For example, frames are at their most efficient at .8 sec, .2 actually makes them laggier.

I was more saying why cap at 8 when you can have more players? As for removing things I personally like ComputerCraft and my player base does as well. They all seem to like to functionality it has

I don't want more players. Thats why I limited it.....

So you're removing CC and "maybe" EE uh. In usual, it's more of the inverse situations, but that's all about what you and your players like. You might just want to know that EE can be used to grief massively, and is difficult to handle on survival servers.

If you're really worried about lag, you'll want to educate your players. First, show them how wonderful RP tubes are compared to BC pipes, and tell them to always use the first rather than the second. Once, they've mastered the concept, disable pipes altogether.

Next, recall them that timers don't need to all be at 0.2 second to be as useful as possible, and very often only need 1 sec. For example, frames are at their most efficient at .8 sec, .2 actually makes them laggier.

I didnt' know that about RP versus BC. Thank you.

I did notice the Timer lag yesterday when toying around with a Lava Pamp -> Cell machine I built. Thank you for confirming this.

EE Griefing isn't a concern for me to be honest. The only players on the server all know each other, so if it happens, it will purely be by accident.