Strongholds?

The eye of ender doesn't always travel all the way to the stronghold. If it helps, the entrance will always be within a ring that is 640 to 1152 blocks from (0,0). If you find one, you can find the other three, as they will be 120 degrees around (0,0) from the entrance to the first you found.

With a bit of trigonometry-fu, you can work out the lines that you need to search.

The eye of ender doesn't always travel all the way to the stronghold. If it helps, the entrance will always be within a ring that is 640 to 1152 blocks from (0,0). If you find one, you can find the other three, as they will be 120 degrees around (0,0) from the entrance to the first you found.

With a bit of trigonometry-fu, you can work out the lines that you need to search.

Thanks for this tip I didn't know all that stuff about strongholds but now I know :).

I actually had this problem today and wiped out an entire island with a destruction catalyst (set to its lowest to avoid eating the thing) and spent three hours before giving up when I found nothing but a giant hole with nothing but bedrock at the bottom.