Need a list of files to add to whitelist for firewall

Xellas

Question

Launcher Version: 1.0.1.3

Operating System: Windows 7 service pack 1 64 bit

Java Version: 64 bit Java 7 update 7.

Antivirus Program: Microsoft Security Essentials

Description of Problem:

ZoneAlarm firewall keeps blocking requests from the launcher and mods in-game, do we have a list of the various files that send these requests? While I can whitelist each individual IP, I'd rather just whitelist the file sending them as it's quicker. And please, do not suggest just turning my firewall off, that's not an option.

EDIT: I've added the launcher, the launcher's .jar, and the technicssp/bin folder's minecraft.jar to the whitelist already.

Error Messages:

None

Error Log:

None

10 answers to this question

Actually no Warpspeed, it's my home computer. I have easy access to it, I simply don't LIKE turning my firewall or antivirus off for anything, as it seems to be an unnecessary risk compared to the much simpler and long-term fix of whitelisting the files that need access to the net. That's why i'm asking for the list of files to whitelist, since having Java, the launcher, the technic jar, and the minecraft jar in the technicssp folder doesn't seem to cut it, which honestly is everything I can think of that should reasonably have any purpose attempting to ping out.

Your post was vague enough that it was a reasonable guess. Honestly though, you are making more work for yourself unnecessarily.

If you are truly worried about the safety of the Technic pack, I recommend looking at the source code yourself. The launcher is completely open source.

I'm not worried about the Technic pack. I keep a firewall on to keep outside attacks out as well as block internal stuff. If I was honestly concerned about Technic being bad, I wouldn't install it, so I trust it pretty much completely at this point. However, it's irritating to me to have to open my firewall up and disable it, then re-enable it each time I start up minecraft, and beyond just the annoyance factor I also don't like taking down the security I have for any length of time if I can avoid it.

Are you saying that your firewall is throwing flags for the individual mods as they are run? It sounded like you simply couldn't download the mods in the first place. If that is the case, an error log would help greatly. Either that, or tell us what mods are causing you trouble.

AFAIK, the only time you need to be connected to the web (other than SMP) is when you first log on. You shouldn't need to disable your firewall because nothing should be attempting to communicate over the web after the initial log in.

Actually it's not giving me individual file warnings, or I'd know what to whitelist. What it's doing is repeatedly attempting to contact various IP addresses, and if I block those requests the sound dies. No crash or error messages are generated during this, or I'd have more to go on myself.

Actually it's not giving me individual file warnings, or I'd know what to whitelist. What it's doing is repeatedly attempting to contact various IP addresses, and if I block those requests the sound dies. No crash or error messages are generated during this, or I'd have more to go on myself.

So the only issue is that the sound is gone if they are blocked? Or can you not play the launcher?

The launcher loads if I have it on, but the sound is borked and the game runs very choppy and laggy. If I turn it off until the world loads, then turn the firewall back on, it loads just fine. However, if I turn it off till i hit minecraft's main menu, turn it on, then load my world, sound is still bugged, meaning it's something that tries to talk out while the world is loading.