"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

any help with this as everytime i go to download said directorys i download about 60 files and it comes back with on the launcher with cant find java directorys.

Lets continue this in PM so as to not make this help thread longer than it needs to be.

this works like a charm but one thing needs to be changed minecraft_1.2.5.jar needs to be renamed to minecraft_1.2.5 leave out the .jar and youll be back in action

No you likely have file extensions hidden. If that is the case, the file is already a jar. If you left out the jar, most people would be left with a file that is incomplete.

this works like a charm but one thing needs to be changed minecraft_1.2.5.jar needs to be renamed to minecraft_1.2.5 leave out the .jar and youll be back in action

Not necessarily true. There was an earlier post about this on the first page. By defualt, windows does not display the file extension (.jar, .exe, etc..) meaning that naming the file minecraft_1.2.5.jar would cause it to become minecraft_1.2.5.jar.jar. If you can see the file extensions, rename it minecraft_1.2.5.jar, otherwise, rename it minecraft_.1.2.5

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed! ...

Thank for your thorough, well-written post. It was a HUGE help and relief. By coincidence, I decided to start a Tekkit server this morning for the first time ever, and so was trying to learn Tekkit from the beginning and not knowing if the "Update Failed!" error was me, a normal problem, or what! Needless to say I was very confused and, after several hours, getting pretty frustrated.

Your solution worked perfectly, and I wanted to confirm it for Mac OS, since I didn't see any confirmations for Mac yet. My setup, in case any of it matters (it's essentially an off-the-shelf iMac from Mid-2011):

--------------------

Mac OS X v10.7.5

2.7GHz Intel Core i5

4GB DDR3 (RAM)

and the graphics card is the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 M

--------------------

I can also confirm that:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher/cache

is indeed the correct directory on Mac OS, but PLEASE NOTE that I removed the "." from in front of "techniclauncher", as it was not used on my install, at least. Another thing to note for Mac users that do not already know: by default, Mac OS hides the ../Library/.. directory that is under your user folder. I cannot remember where I changed the setting, but there is a setting in the "Preferences" somewhere that makes hidden files visible, and you'll want to turn that on or you won't see the directory you need. Googling how to do this should turn up the correct setting or the correct command to use through the terminal app.

Thanks again for this timely help!