"Update Failed" and a solution

Niall_

Question

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IF YOUR LOG HAS LINES LIKE THIS IN IT

Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' matches MD5 of version '1.4.2'.

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'null', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[10:14:21] [sEVERE]    java.net.MalformedURLException

THIS FIX WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU AS IT IS A SEPARATE ISSUE

Launcher Version: 1.0.2.0

Operating System: Win7

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 & 32bit)

Antivirus Program: None.

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:05] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

• Answers 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You'll need to add the .jar if you have file extensions enabled, if you do not have file extensions enabled (default behaviour) just name the file minecraft_1.2.5

Ah, you managed to get it working!

For tekkit, any idea of how to get minecraft 1.2.3 for the Yogbox to work?

Aha! The Yogbox has a 1.2.5 version, it is the latest and not the recommend build but still it works with that so, for people who want to play on the Yogbox just go to options and change the settings to manual then select the latest 1.2.5 build. Unless it's a really bad idea to use the latest build I don't know?

Nope nevermind it doesnt work, I got past the updating minecraft part then after the "Mojan" loading screen it gave me this.

Though maybe this is a more fixable problem? I hope, that was a real teaser there for me lol.

Mods loaded: 30

ModLoader 1.2.5

mod_BE MC: 1.2.3 ; BE: 1.2.3

mod_ingameInfo 1.2.5.d modified by bspkrs

mod_keepInventory SSP 1.0

mod_MinecraftForge 3.0.1.84

mod_moreHealthRPG V2.2 MC 1.2.4

mod_MoreXp MoreXp

mod_ReiMinimap v3.0_06 [1.2.5]

mod_Shelf 1.2.5

mod_Stackables 1.2.5

mod_startingInventory 1.2.5.a updated by bspkrs

mod_StatusEffectHUD v1.12 (1.2.5)

mod_treecapitator 1.2.5.e updated by bspkrs

mod_Allocator 1.0.0

mod_ChestTrap 1.0.0

mod_Fan 1.0.0

mod_JumpPad 1.0.0

mod_Pfaeff 1.0.0

mod_adventureItems 0.4

mod_airship Airships V2.5 for Post-Release: 1.2.3

mod_Armor 1.2.5

mod_AS_BattleTowers 1.1.0 @ MC 1.2.5

mod_betterDungeons 0.932

mod_CraftingTableIII (Beta1.8, MC1.2.5)

mod_mocreatures v3.6.2 (MC 1.2.5)

mod_InvTweaks 1.41b (1.2.4)

mod_Millenaire 2.7.4

mod_MineColony MineColony rc18a for Minecraft 1.2.5

mod_Minions 1.2.4 @ MC 1.2.5

Balkon's WeaponMod 1.2.5 v8.6.0

Minecraft has crashed!

----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 46372ed2 --------

Generated 10/25/12 7:22 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft 1.2.5

Java: 1.7.0_09, Oracle Corporation

VM: Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation

LWJGL: 2.4.2

OpenGL: AMD Radeon HD 7640G version 4.2.11476 Compatibility Profile Context, ATI Technologies Inc.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Slot 109 is already occupied by nr@2d8623c9 when adding BlockHutBarracks@41977878

at pb.<init>(Block.java:249)

at agy.<init>(BlockContainer.java:7)

at sn.<init>(BlockChest.java:12)

at BlockHutBarracks.<init>(BlockHutBarracks.java:9)

at mod_MineColony.load(mod_MineColony.java:659)

at ModLoader.init(ModLoader.java:891)

at ModLoader.addAllRenderers(ModLoader.java:189)

at ahu.<init>(ahu.java:77)

at ahu.<clinit>(ahu.java:8)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(Minecraft.java:423)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:790)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

--- END ERROR REPORT 565229ea ----------

Try grabbing the 1.2.3 version of the .jar and putting it in your cache folder, after renaming it minecraft_1.2.3 or minecraft_1.2.3.jar depending on whether you have file extensions hidden or not. The try using the 1.2.3 version of the yogbox.

K got it and now it works, thanks so much everyone. Still not sure why it wouldn't work when I would try to use the 1.2.5 version of the yogbox with the jar you gave us, thats weird.

ok im not going put help me please because im not a fucking noob... just really pissed off i clicked clean cache by mistake and ever since then technic laucnher has been fucked it downloads minecraft.jar 3times then comes up update failed i've had it say update successful before not sure how just clicked login a few times and it come up that but never worked i'd click login again and then just do the same thing downloads minecraft.jar 3times and comes up update failed. then i came on to here... done what this thread told me to download minecraft 1.2.5 rename it to minecraft_1.2.5 (also tried with .jar) put it in techniclaunchercache ran technic and still comes up update failed whats going on?

Any help at all will be appreciated

ok fixed thanks anyways :)

- Thanks Joe

Tekkit and technic both launch fine for me, but when I try to launch hack / mine, it gives this error. I've tried putting minecraft.jar 1.2.3 (named minecraft_1.2.3.jar) into the cache and no luck - it just ignores it and tries to download it anyways (could it be because mojang is no longer hosting it?). I've even tried copying it and naming it as the 1.2.5 jar just in case it was looking for the wrong one. Not sure what else to try. Is there somewhere I can change what file it looks for?

And yes, I have extensions showing, and yes it downloaded as a jar (I used a jar to install the launcher).

Scratch that, apparently something was wrong with the jar I downloaded, found a different source that worked.

Java Version: jdk1.7.0_07 (64 &amp; 32bit)

Description of Problem:

While updating through the Technic Launcher, it will attempt to download minecraft.jar 3 times and fail with the message Update Failed!. After checking my log files I can see that the problem is that the minecraft.jar files it attempts to download do not match the md5 hashes of what the launcher has.

A solution: download Minecraft 1.2.5 from Mojang directly (url: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_2_5/minecraft.jar ), rename the file you just downloaded to minecraft_1.2.5 and place that file into your .techniclauncher/cache folder. - NOTE: If you're on windows and have enabled file extensions to be shown (the default is that they are not shown) then you will need to rename the file to minecraft_1.2.5.jar - do not do this if you are unsure. - NOTE: If you're using Internet Explorer, it will download the file as a zip file which will require you extract it (usually right click > Extract), you could alternatively download the file using another web browser such as Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera.

You can find your .techniclauncher/cache in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/cache on windows, and in ~/.techniclauncher/cache on most linux distros. I believe the same folder would be under /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/.techniclauncher/cache on OSX but I cannot confirm. - NOTE: For OSX the folder may simply be called techniclauncher without the leading period.

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

[19:51:13] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:20] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[19:51:29] [sEVERE] Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

I've done every thing as you have explained and it still hasn't worked.

Ok sorry to drag this thing out, but I'm no pro with Java. I've recently uninstalled my java versions. Installed Java 7's latest update. I have the Technic Launcher, but it's not letting me update it does the 3 attempts and failed to update thing. I go to click this .jar link OP provided, and I get a JVM error.

Fixed:

After a bit of looking through the computer, and my downloads folder, I did find the .jar's all 11 of the ones I had clicked to download. Chrome was acting as if it was a complete error and not even downloading the file. After I did find the file, I did rename it, put it in the cache folder, and victory was mine. ^.^ Thanks OP

Fairly certain I've been doing it correctly though it's still giving me an error I don't think its the file name though I could very well be wrong this is the last log I received

[sEVERE]    ------------------------------------------

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Launcher is starting....

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Launcher Build: '1.0.2.0'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Java VM: '1.7.0_01-b08'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    OS Version: '6.1'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Is 64-bit: 'true'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'http://mirror.technicpack.net/Technic/mirrors.yml'.

[01:54:50] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/CHECKSUM.md5', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[01:54:50] [sEVERE]    Copying: \temp\file6048553817518433060.tmp to: \launcher\CHECKSUM.md5

[01:54:50] [sEVERE]    File Downloaded: \launcher\CHECKSUM.md5

[01:54:51] [sEVERE]    [MD5 Mismatch] File '\launcher\technicssp\modpack.yml' has md5 of '537d675509bee8da624d123b3b3355bb' instead of 'f9cf82ecb466b84f0ecffde3bfdff6b6'

[01:54:51] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'modpack.yml' from 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/technicssp/modpack.yml'.

[01:54:52] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'minecraft.yml' from 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/minecraft.yml'.

[01:54:56] [sEVERE]    Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[01:55:07] [sEVERE]    Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[01:55:07] [sEVERE]    Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[01:55:13] [sEVERE]    Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[01:55:13] [sEVERE]    Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]    Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]    java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MinecraftDownloadUtils.downloadMinecraft(MinecraftDownloadUtils.java:77)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.GameUpdater.updateMC(GameUpdater.java:121)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:850)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:1)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Another note I can see file extensions I had to enable them months ago just to get the the mine-craft files

aparantley you need java 6 on OSX

had the same problem

Fairly certain I've been doing it correctly though it's still giving me an error I don't think its the file name though I could very well be wrong this is the last log I received

[sEVERE]    ------------------------------------------

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Launcher is starting....

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Launcher Build: '1.0.2.0'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Java VM: '1.7.0_01-b08'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    OS Version: '6.1'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    Is 64-bit: 'true'

[01:54:49] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'http://mirror.technicpack.net/Technic/mirrors.yml'.

[01:54:50] [sEVERE]    Starting download of 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/CHECKSUM.md5', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[01:54:50] [sEVERE]    Copying: \temp\file6048553817518433060.tmp to: \launcher\CHECKSUM.md5

[01:54:50] [sEVERE]    File Downloaded: \launcher\CHECKSUM.md5

[01:54:51] [sEVERE]    [MD5 Mismatch] File '\launcher\technicssp\modpack.yml' has md5 of '537d675509bee8da624d123b3b3355bb' instead of 'f9cf82ecb466b84f0ecffde3bfdff6b6'

[01:54:51] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'modpack.yml' from 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/technicssp/modpack.yml'.

[01:54:52] [sEVERE]    [info] Downloading 'minecraft.yml' from 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/minecraft.yml'.

[01:54:56] [sEVERE]    Starting download of minecraft, with 3 trie(s) remaining

[01:55:07] [sEVERE]    Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[01:55:07] [sEVERE]    Starting download of minecraft, with 2 trie(s) remaining

[01:55:13] [sEVERE]    Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[01:55:13] [sEVERE]    Starting download of minecraft, with 1 trie(s) remaining

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]    Downloaded 'minecraft.jar' does not matche MD5 of any known minecraft version!

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]    java.io.IOException: Failed to download minecraft

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.MinecraftDownloadUtils.downloadMinecraft(MinecraftDownloadUtils.java:77)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.GameUpdater.updateMC(GameUpdater.java:121)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:850)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at org.spoutcraft.launcher.gui.LoginForm$3.doInBackground(LoginForm.java:1)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

[01:55:19] [sEVERE]        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Another note I can see file extensions I had to enable them months ago just to get the the mine-craft files

apparently you need java 6 on OSX

had the same problem

OK thanks for the help ill give it a try: Wait I'm using windows 7 does that mean its been trying to run a mac version this whole time? <--- WTF it was trying to run a mac version the whole time even though I've been clicking windows XD finally got the windows version to download and it worked no problem. Not sure but that could be some of the other peoples problems as well.

Description of Problem:

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

Yea just wondering does it change the whole minecraft to 1.2.5 please reply

Yea just wondering does it change the whole minecraft to 1.2.5 please reply

The update is replacing all outdated minecraft versions we use in the launcher. You will need to download the correct .jars for the versions you're using (YogBox and Voxel are running 1.2.3 and 1.3.2 respectively) -I think

had the same problem

This is actually a different problem entirely. When Apple force updated you guys, it messed a few things up (if you search OSX Java 6 it should come up with some of the solutions)

Sorry your issues were compounded by the update, if you got it working, good for you!

had the same problem

When you click the download button, if you're running windows, it downloads the windows version. He had 2 known problems going on at once.

I tried to fix it but it didnt work, mostly because i cant find my .techniclauncher/cache file, in fact i dont have a map from technic/tekkit, my computer can only find the launcher :/

So it still said 'Update Failed', any other suggestions would be nice...

Go to the COMMON PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS sticky. It will tell you how to get to the files you need.

Description of Problem:

Error Messages:

Update Failed!

Error Log:

My computer says 'A java exception has occurred' when trying to open the minecraft.1.2.5 file and then when i renamed it and put it into my technic folder it did not work plz help!