Can't change ram allocation

Camisnoob

Question

I am running windows 8.1 and I am using Java 7_79 (64bit) 

When I try to launch a modpack I get an error saying it couldn't initialize VM because there wasn't enough memory allocation.  This is a common problem with a common fix, allocating more RAM.  The problem is that when I change the settings in launcher options it DOES NOT change the java settings, it still remains locked at 512 MB instead of the 2GB of ram that I want.  My computer has 7GB of ram available so it is definitely not an issue with lack of memory.  Is there a way to manually chance the java limits besides the technic launcher options? Because the launcher options are not changing the ram allocation even when I switch it to 2 or 3 GB.  

Thank you.

1 answer to this question

This is a very common problem. You have a Java environment setting, which causes any java processes to be limitted to (in your case) 512MB. Changing your RAM in the launcher is not going to do anything as the environment variable overrides the launcher settings. As it happened so often, one of the mods wrote a small script that clears these variables.

"Problem #2"

Please download this file, then RightClick->Run as Administrator.

This should clear Java Settings that are being stored in your OS, which interfere with Technic.

This script was written by the Moderator Khio, and can be trusted. http://iamtrue.net/clearJavaEnvVars.bat